No holes in sump pit?

Old 07-13-12, 12:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No holes in sump pit?

I recently had a contractor in to install a sump pit to direct the water from the weeping tile away from draining into the septic system to directly outside. He installed a pit beside the smaller pit that the weeping tile was draining into, plugged the hole to the septic, and installed a pipe between the 2 pits. When he dug the hole for the sump pit, the hole filled with water (not from the weeping tile) so he had to brace the pit from the ceiling to keep it from popping out from the water pressure while the concrete set. After he was done and gone I looked and the only thing draining into the pit is the pipe from the weeping tile pit - there are no other perforations in the pit. So now I'm wondering about all that water that came up in the hole and cannot enter the sump pit?
Should I drill some holes in the pit in order to drain that water? I'm a bit concerned about doing that because there is probably no fabric or anything that would stop gravel or dirt from entering the pit. Maybe some very small holes might work? This guy was supposed to be a professional, so maybe there's a reason he didn't perforate the pit?
The reason I started wondering about that is that the septic tank is on the pit side of the house and there are some drips entering the septic tank around the collar, most likely coming from the water that was below the floor when he installed the pit.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-12, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Hopefully a mod can combine your threads.

I dont condone pumping of raw effluent into the woods as you stated in your other thread regarding your septic issues. Its a health hazard.

Possibly just call a pro in and replace your whole system already. Its 50 years old and served its useful life.

Old 07-13-12, 01:02 PM
B
This was a separate thread as it is a different issue.

Old 07-13-12, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
But its all related, no?...........................................

Old 07-13-12, 01:12 PM
B
Um, not really - sump is now separate from septic.

Last edited by stickshift; 07-13-12 at 01:49 PM.