Well pump replacement question....

Old 08-24-12, 11:27 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well pump replacement question....

I need to replace my submersble wellpump......Old one died due to waterlogged holding tank(bladder ruptured) that caused excessive cycling.....Old pump is 230 volt, 3/4 hp, 3 wire plus ground wire....

Assuming that I get same type replacement pump and that existing wiring is in good shape (all new wiring used during previous pump replacement in 1998) can I reuse the existing wiring with new pump? (snip wires and reconnect to new pump)?

Also, is it feasable or do-able to cut the wires at the wellcap where wiring runs into the house and then reconnect them in order to have enough wire slack to pull the old pump out of the ground?

The wiring into the house runs straight underground from the wellcap via conduit attached to the outside of the casing...., then once underground, it makes a 90 degree turn to run into the house.....so it appears that I need to cut the wires where they run from the wellcasing into the conduit toward the house....The only other way I can see is to disconnect the wiring from the control box in the basement and pull it all the way out of the house and then I don't know if I would be able to fish it back down and into the house again.....

My Dad helped with the 1998 welljob and did the wiring during that pump job and I don't recall how he did the wiring....He passed away since then so I can't ask......We did have the ground dug out around the well to extend the wellcasing higher during that job, as wellcap was underground....so he might have stood in the hole in the ground to wire it....can't remember now...

Thanks....Kyle

Old 08-24-12, 11:35 AM
K
Forgot to mention that the pump is 100 feet down.......It has a pitless adapter and I looked around and found the homemade t-handle puller in the basement that we had used for the'98 job.....Length of 1 inch steel pipe with a t adapter and two more short lengths of pipe to form the t......I just tried it out to make sure that it threaded in to the pitless to make sure.....I plan to keep the puller attached to the pitless as a 'safety' until the pump is entirely out of the ground.....

Old 08-24-12, 01:54 PM
K
Re wellpump replacement

Name:  100_5993.jpg
Views: 10748
Size:  51.0 KB

Trying out pic attachment....Kyle...

Attached Images  
Old 08-24-12, 02:02 PM
K
Re...attached pics.....What I am looking at is cutting the wires between the end of the yellow safety rope and where the wires lead down the conduit pipe......I'm not too crazy about cutting wires in that spot but aside from pulling wiring back out of the house, I don't see any other alternative.......I've heard of people cutting the wires at the wellhead and using wire connectors and electrical tape......unless I splice wires back together and use heat shrink material like what is used down at the pump itself to keep it weatherproof and tamper resistant....Kyle

Old 08-25-12, 07:26 AM
I
What condition are the wires in? Is the vinyl cracked or somewhat pliable? We had our pump replaced last week and I reused the wires....still in great shape from 1997. We just left the wire attached to the pipe and pulled it on up. Do you have the black plastic pipe or is it galvanized?

When you thread the T-handle be sure you get a few good turns in, having an extra set of hands will be very useful. Being 100' down you should be able to pull it yourself but I would surely have someone there to assist in case you run into some issues, it's a task by yourself and I wouldn't go it alone IMO.

With the pump at 100' it's heavy with no water in it, let alone with a column of water, but by no means impossible.

I'm curious as to why you have a 3-wire pump for a 100' well, I thought they are generally used for much deeper wells or wells needing high flow rates. That being said if price dictates then a 2-wire pump could be an alternative. Myers has a 2-wire 1.5HP now which some time ago 1HP was the limit for 2-wire.

We had the 1.5HP installed and at 500' pumps just over 5 GPM, @ 100' it would be a beast. You should have no issues splicing the wires but I would preserve the integrity as much as possible, you may not have to cut them.

Old 08-25-12, 11:28 AM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
I now have a well pit (not good) and the wires were spliced and connected with special connectors down in the pit. I donít know who did it but I guess it was the guy who installed the pump right before I moved in 2002.

These are special connectors for underground splices. They look like some kind of twist compression connectors or something. They donít look like the shrink wrap stuff. Maybe thatís what your Dad did before you had the well head raised and the pitless adapter installed. But I am not even close to being a pro.

But seems to me you will have to make sure you can do splices at the point you are contemplating. I was wondering if you would have to use a splice box in that location Ė since it seems like every splice is supposed to be done in a box or else buried underground. But the pros could answer that.

I also have a control box on my basement wall. I had to dig and run a new water pipe out to the well pit so I ran a new PVC conduit for the electrical wires at the same time. I didnít want to mess and try to disconnect the splices I mentioned above, so I disconnected the wires from the control box and pulled them into the well pit. Then when I added the new conduit I fished the wires back into the house through the conduit.

Long story, but because I had water in the pit dripping into the basement through the electrical wire conduit, I had to do the same thing again a few times : that is, disconnect the wires from the control box and pull them into the pit, the pull them back into the basement when I was done. I donít know whether thatís a good idea or not Ė but I didnít have any problems. I had some #14 romex that I used for fish tape and I taped that to the end of the 3-pump wires after I disconnected them from the control box.

I tapped those suckers really really good because I was terrified of it coming apart while I was fishing. But the thing is, I didnít have that 90 degree bend like you have. I had sort of a slow curve (please donít ask why) at the pipe end once in the pit.

Maybe you could connect a fish line to the wires in the basement and then from the outside just pull up as much as you need. Seems like it shouldnít be that many feet for slack , but Iím not great at picturing these things. Maybe the pros would say thatís not a good idea.

Good luck! Maybe the pros will help.

Old 08-25-12, 04:48 PM
K
Re pump...

The original pump from 1963 was a 1/2 hp 2 wire design......It was decided to upgrade to a 3/4 hp pump on the 1998 replacement which changed the wiring to a 3 wire situation.....The original 1963 pump was 35 years old and was still working ok but we figured it was only a matter of time before it would finally go so we were pro-active and decided to change it out before it died...

Old 08-25-12, 05:12 PM
K
Re pump...

Wires look to be in good shape up top at the wellhead........plastic piping is what was installed in '98 to my recollection......The original install involved eight 10 foot sections of pipe......We parked a backhoe near the well with the hoe boom over the wellhead and used the hoe to hook a come-along to......We then clamped onto the pipe, pulled it out high enough to clamp onto the next section while I removed the section above ground level.....then we'd pull the next section up, I'd remove it and so on until the pump was out of the well......

I don't think we used the hoe in the process of lowering the new pump and hose into the well....can't remember now....It will probably all come back to me once I start the pull......I have two days off during the week from work next week.....one of the two days is promising to be rain-free....I plan to do the pull early in the morning, then obtain the pump and perhaps new control box and hope to have it all back in the ground by evening.....I will update on this thread throughout the job.....

Old 08-26-12, 11:04 PM
J
u did rule out the control box?

Old 08-27-12, 08:03 AM
K
re control box

When I try to start the pump, the lights in the room dim momentarily like the motor wants to run but motor appears to be seized......If I try it too much, circuit breaker trips.......Again, there is a recent history of 'overcycling' of the pup due to the ruptured bladder in the holding tank....so I believe the pump is shot...

Old 08-27-12, 08:16 AM
K
The big pull day.....

Well oh well......Pump is out of the ground this morning.....I opened up the wellcap and snipped the wiring at the wellhead to avoid pulling wiring out of the basement.....hooked up the t-bar, gave a gentle upward 'tug' on the bar which released the pitless adapter from the house supply line and began the pull.....I am doing this myself.......

It took me about 20 -25 minutes or so for the entire pull.....The well has black plastic pipe which made the pull easier than if it had the original sectioned steel pipe.

I took my time and as I pulled a section out of the well, I would walk over and pull the line across the yard....then take a couple minute breather before resuming.....wasn't quite as bad as I thought..considering that there is still 100 feet of water in the pipe.....

I checked out how the pump was wired.....Instead of using heat shrink wrap for the pump wiring splices, my Dad used waterproof connecters over the splices.....clear plastic tubes with threaded caps on each end.....wires slip through those connecters and through the threaded caps and then end caps are threaded on and there are rubber grommets in the wiring holes of the endcaps that keep water out......Each wire was spliced separately with the waterproof 'tubes' placed over each wire...with the splices 'staggered' so that each splice tube was secured to the pipe separately

I will post pics of the progress a bit later...

Old 08-27-12, 12:05 PM
K
New pump on order....

I took a ride over to the local well pump guy.....took my old pump over to match up to a new pump.....He did not have my model in stock....had an ungraded stainless steel model which would have been another $250....so I had him order the equivalent to mine which includes the control box in the price....pump is supposed to arrive at his shop tomorrow afternoon....

I will plan to install it on my next day off later in week.....

If I had my ducks lined up all in a row and pre-ordered everything before the pull, I could have had the new pump in today.....but I preferred to see everything out of the ground to see what else I needed......For instance, I will need to go out and buy new safety rope.....old rope started to fray and fall apart down at the pump end after I untied it from the pump....

I had a chat with the pump guy and he says that he doesn't even bother with safety rope anymore on his pump installs...says that the pipe is sufficient to hold the pump for pulls and installs......I disagree with that but kept my mouth shut.....I'd rather have that extra margin of 'safety' just in case the pump were to fall loose out of the pipe where I could be able to rope it out of the well...

He also prefers the shrink-wrap method of waterproofing the pump wiring splices as opposed to the plastic threaded tube that I showed him on my pump.....He hasn't used that type in years....

I asked him about method of splicing the wiring where I had cut it up at the top of the casing at the wellcap.......He replied that when he does pump installs, his crew just wire nuts the connections as long as the water level does not reach the top of the casing and submerge the wiring....If water is a concern, then it would get the splice/heatshrink tubing treatment as well...

Old 08-27-12, 12:37 PM
K
One other thing I did after I hooked up the t-handle to the pitless and before I began the pull was to wrap some black electrical tape around the t-bar to mark on the t-handle the exact point where it extended out of the wellhead......This way I will know how far down to lower the t-handle into the well on the install....As I lower the pump into the well, just have to line up the black tape mark approximately or just a bit higher than the top of the wellhead and then it will just be a matter of lining up the pitless adapter to drop it in place for the connection to the house waterline.

Otherwise without that reference mark, I will be hunting around for the height as well as the location of the pitless connection while dropping the pump in place....but.......
I will also plan to place a reference mark of tape on the top of the wellcasing to mark the position of the waterline connection...I will.take my flashlight on a string and drop it down into the well to find the pitless/waterline connection, and then mark the waterline position up top on the casing with black tape.....so I will have two reference marks to help connect up to the house on the drop-in.....one on the casing and one on the t-bar...

Hopefully then, all I will need to do is 'rotate' the bar back and forth a bit as I drop the pump in to get the pitless connections lined up properly....

Last edited by kyle99; 08-27-12 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-27-12, 04:31 PM
T
Were the splices compromised? I've seen a lot using only tape, no heat shrinks. If done right it will hold the life of the pump. You have to use good 3M tape though, no cheapie stuff. Might as well change the C-Box while you're at it. I would have tried the C-Box first before doing all the work.

Old 08-27-12, 05:17 PM
K
Re pump

Here are a few pics of the pulled pump.....First pic shows the pitless connector/t-bar puller connection.......another closeup shows one of the waterproof wiring connectors after I had removed the electrical tape and unthreaded the caps.Name:  100_5995.jpg
Views: 11324
Size:  52.3 KBName:  100_5998.jpg
Views: 10822
Size:  54.7 KBName:  100_6001.jpg
Views: 15719
Size:  50.2 KB

Old 08-27-12, 05:23 PM
K
re control box

A new control box is coming with the new pump.....I plan on installing the new control box one evening after work after I pick up the new pump and box from the pump guy.....This way, later this week when I get the new pump in the ground, all I'll have to deal with as far as wiring will be the splices at the pump and at the wellhead...

Old 08-29-12, 05:22 PM
K
Picked up the pump....

New pump arrived at the well guy's office yesterday afternoon, so I swung over and picked it up before work this morning....picked up the new control box with it along with the heat shrink splice kit.....I also purchased a new torque arrestor as the old one had a bunch of hairline ' surface spiderwebbing' cracks after 14 years in the well....

I have Friday this week off from work, so that is the day that I plan to get the new pump hooked up and in the ground so that hopefully I will have fresh water running again out of the faucets before that day is out....I still have to swing by the local Home Center tomorrow evening to purchase fresh rope for the pump safety line...and may also go ahead and purchase new hose clamps for the pump and pitless adapter connections.....I don't want to have to pull this pump out of the ground for a long time.....Maybe a future owner will be the next person that will need to worry about pulling it out again years down the road.

Last edited by kyle99; 08-29-12 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-31-12, 09:21 AM
T
Write your name/date on the side in permanent marker. It's always fun to see it when you pull it up.

Old 08-31-12, 02:53 PM
K
Running water again.....

I just let out a loud 'YES' in the basement after turning the electrical power on to the well and got the welcome sound of water running out of the well into the pressure tank........Had quite a day...but obviously a productive one.....I have to run out in a few minutes and buy some wire caps for a temporary hook-up up at the wellhead where I cut the wires.....I will post back later this evening with some pictures and a report of today's install.......

Old 08-31-12, 06:31 PM
K
Today's install....

Nice weather and a day off from work today allowed me to schedule today for the new pump install.....

I started out by removing the old safety rope from the well pipe before installing the new torque arrestor.....new pump was plumbed onto the pipe next....followed by the wire splices and heat shrink.....I used a small propane torch to melt the shrink.......Black electrical tape was wrapped around the splices after the shrink material cooled.

I did have to run out to the pump guy to get some more splice material before I sealed the heatshrink....A couple of my wire splices were not to my satisfaction so I redid them before sealing them....

New safety rope was installed next...and I wrapped the heat shrink splices in black tape and redid some loose black tape wraps of the electrical wire against the well pipe.

After doublechecking everything, I began the drop-in of the pump into the well.....which took about 10 minutes or so......I found the pitless connection after a few tries and so the plumbing portion of the install was done...

I went down to the basement and unwired the old controlbox and wired in the new box before coming back out to the wellhead to reconnect the wires where I had cut them for the pull last Monday.

Back downstairs and a moment of nervousness as I prepared to turn the pump power back on.....Would it work? Did my heat shrink splices work? Would I have to pull the pump back out to fix a splice?

I flipped the switch.......and heard the welcome sound of water rushing into the holding tank......Yes.....it works!

I refilled the pressure tank with air to eliminate the pump cycling that fried the other pump.....I set the air pressure to within 2 pounds of the well pump cut-in pressure as specified.....Pump cuts in at 40 lbs, so I aired the tank to 38 lbs...I need to monitor the air pressure to see if there is a slow leak in the air bladder...

I went back up to wirenut and blacktape the wellhead electrical connections before unthreading the t-bar out of the pitless connection and then pulled the t-bar out of the well...

I buttoned up the well with the wellcap.....but will reopen the cap within a day or two to sanitize the well with a quart of bleach......Right now the water coming out of the taps is dirty due to the well being stirred up.....

All in all, I am pleased with the results thus far....I will post some pics in a separate reply...

Old 08-31-12, 06:48 PM
K
Some pics from today's install...

Name:  100_6009.jpg
Views: 5155
Size:  54.0 KBName:  100_6016.jpg
Views: 5100
Size:  50.3 KBName:  100_6014.jpg
Views: 6345
Size:  54.0 KBFirst pics show the swapout of the torque arrestor and the attached new pump.....wire splices had not been done yet....

Next pics show the old pump which was brought out to use to compare for sfety line hook up....and another pic showing safety line hooked up to new pump and wire connections made...and a few other pics showing the electrical taped splices and well going back into the ground.....

Attached Images     

Last edited by kyle99; 08-31-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-01-12, 06:26 PM
K
Well, now I am back to square one.....was doing laundry tonight when I lost water pressure....I went downstairs to find the pressure tank empty and pump not running......I tried to restart pump via a manual button on the pressure switch and all I get is clicking in the control box with quick dimming of room lights and no pump start up......looks like I am right back where I started a week ago.....with no pump action.....Either something went bad in the control box...or my new pump failed already!...One thing I noticed is the clicking in the control box whenever the pump turned on......never heard this with old pump and control box setup....so I don't know if that clicking sound is normal or not.......I either have a bad control box.....or else my pump went bad in 24 hours.......

Old 09-01-12, 06:50 PM
K
Re pump.....

Upon further inspection....pump motor is running...but I am not getting any water pumping......I put my ear up against the supply pipe coming into the tank and I can hear a faint hissing sound in the pipe when I turn on the power...appears to be the sound of the pump motor as after I kill the power, it takes several seconds for the sound to wind down to a stop.... and resumes when I turn it back on.....but I am getting no flow in the line to the tank.....I walked out to the well and took the wellcap off and can hear the pump running, but nothing is being pumped up.......The only thing I can think of is that the electric pump motor is working but something in the pump itself suddenly failed causing a loss of pumping action....

The pump is a Goulds that cost me well over $500 and I am fuming mad right now that I will likely have to pull this thing back out of the ground to do this pump job all over again.....Pump has 5 year warranty but to have it apparently blow in less than 24 hours after installation is beyond unacceptable.....

Last edited by kyle99; 09-01-12 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-01-12, 10:55 PM
K
re pump...

I'm almost thinking that I may have had a rupture or leak somewhere between the pump and pitless adapter.........I am going to have to pull the whole thing back out of the ground it appears to find out what the issue is.....whatever it is happened suddenly.....Monday morning if it isn't raining, I will have to do another pull....

Old 09-02-12, 04:46 AM
K
Pump

Pump is running.....Pipe coming into holding tank is getting cold and starting to 'sweat' with condensation from cold water...and can hear 'rushing water noise' in pipe itself.....but water seems to be disappearing into the bermuda triangle.....I am wondering if system got airbound somehow so that water is being blocked from making it into tank....I ran pump for 5 minutes and pipe started getting cold from fresh water but no change whatsoever in tank water pressure and no water from taps.....Either air bound.....or a leak somewhere in well that is reducing water pressure so that it cannot make it all the way to the tank....

Old 09-03-12, 05:17 AM
K
pump issues

Appears that I am going to have to pull everything out of the ground.....I fiddled round with it for about an hour last evening after work.....let the pump run for 15 minutes......supply pipe running into tank got cold from fresh water pumping into pipe but nothing measurable made it into tank after 15 minutes of pumping.....All I can assume right now is a leakdown of water back into the well....

Old 09-03-12, 06:53 AM
K
pump update again.....

Well.....now I am leaning toward the possibility that the pump inlet screen may have gotten clogged with dirt.....I was pulling dirty water out of the faucets on the first evening of the installation to the point where I had to clean the inlet screens on my washing machine water inlets.....

I hooked up the pitless adapter puller this morning and gave a few upward taps on the t-handle with a hammer though not enough to release the pitless.....this 'shook' the entire pipe/pump assembly to some extent.......For the heck of it, I turned the pump power back on and discovered that I was now developing water pressure in the tank....albeit not nearly as quickly as normal.....but after 15 minutes, my tank was pumped up to 60 lbs which is alot better than what I've managed to get over the past couple of days.....

so....at this point it will be a wait and see for now....I may try some more gentle shaking of the pipe and pump assembly to see if I see any difference or continued improvement in pressure buildup time......If pressure continues to improve, then I will attribute it to dirt in the pump inlet screen or perhaps dirt in the pump's checkvalve causing it to stick partially open.....I did notice that when I turned the pump back on after doing the 'pitless shake', I heard a quick 'whoosh' in the water supply line for a couple of seconds before it quieted back down......

Old 09-04-12, 06:08 AM
T
Are you sure your pump is in the water? Did you measure the water level before installing?

Old 09-04-12, 08:34 AM
K
re pump in water....

I can see the water level in well with flashlight......I didn't measure it but water level appears to be about 30 feet below the pitless......and the pump is down at 100 feet....I will tie something to a string and drop it in to determine water level. Well was drilled to 140 feet or thereabouts so the pump is not touching bottom.....should be a good 40 feet between the pump and well bottom.

Pump is hung at same depth as old pump and is same hp and gpm capacity.....

I shut the pump off yesterday to allow the tank to empty out from normal usage.....and then turned pump back on to refill tank.....still takes a long time to recover....although once tank reaches 40 lbs pressure, it builds pressure much faster onward to 60.....I listened to the sound of the water in the supply pipe coming into tank...and every-so often, as it was filling, I would hear a faint 'bang' or hammering in the line which happened about two or three times.....Each time this 'bang' happened, the sound of the water flow in pipe would suddenly change pitch......become quieter than before the bang......then another faint bang and water sound would increase again.....I don't know what to make of it....

Friday will be set aside for a pull if things don't straighten out......As of now, I have sufficient water to run toilets and to take quick 5 minute showers....Usage much above that surpasses what the pump is replenishing into tank.

Last edited by kyle99; 09-04-12 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-04-12, 10:47 AM
K
re pump.....

I managed to get a load of laundry washed this morning without running out of water......something that could not be accomplished a few days ago........recovery still not where it should be...but better than it was on Saturday and Sunday....will continue to monitor things for any changes.....

Old 09-05-12, 04:49 AM
K
continued improvement

I *think* I may be okay now with the pump.......I took a 10 minute shower this morning and in the time it took for me to dry off, and shave, tank recovered.....I went downstairs to check the tank pressure which was about 10 minutes after getting out of the shower...and tank was full....up to 60 lbs.....

My thought of a dirty pump or stuck pump checkvalve might be what actually occurred......Water out of the taps is clean now after a few days of settling so clean water may be flushing out the dirt from the pump inlet screens/checkvalve......Did laundry yesterday without having to clean the washing machine water inlet screens where on Friday the screens would clog after just a couple minutes of filling the washer.....can't think of any other reason for pump pressure to continue to improve without me doing anything......wil continue to monitor

Old 09-06-12, 06:44 PM
K
pump update again.....

Things continue to run smoothly with the pump....I am off work tomorrow.....I plan to do another load of laundry....I will head down to the basement to the tank to monitor the pressue after I start filling the washing machine with water....If pressure recovery looks good, then I plan to do the bleach treatment to the well before bolting down the wellcap....wellcap is currently in place but I haven't bolted it down yet due to the recent pressure issues requiring pulling the cap off to inspect things....I had originally planned to do the bleach treatment last weekend but with the pressure issues, decided to hold off until I am sure that I won't have to tear everything apart again.

I have not used any well water for drinking or food preparation purposes since the pump change-out until I sanitize the well.... jugs of water from the grocery store have been used for those purposes.....

Old 09-12-12, 07:00 AM
K
pump update

Update on things.....Everything seems to be running smoothly......No issues with sucking air, loss of pressure, dirty water etc......have been doing laundry, showers, etc...and have had no issues with tank running low or playing 'catch-up'.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: