No Water from Shallow Well

Old 11-10-12, 06:23 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No Water from Shallow Well

Hi Everyone... I have an urgent problem and was hoping some forum experts could chime in.

Our Goulds J10S jet pump was getting noisy so I decided to swap it out and replace with a new one. Installation goes smooth. I connect everything, prime the system and let it run but the best I can get pressure up to is 32psi in the 20 gallon holding tank.

I decide to let the pressure out of the system and try again and this time I can't get any water out of the suction line.

I disconnect the suction line and attach a hose from the jetpump intake to a 5 gallon bucket full of water. I turn the pump on and it quickly drinks up all the water. The pump seems to be primed but isn't picking up water from the well.

I decide to fill the suction line that runs to the well with water. I reattach the line to the pump and turn it on. I can hear the pump drink the small amount of water I just put in the line but nothing else.

Is my well shot? Could their be a clog in the line?
Am I not getting enough suction from the pump?

Thanks, in advance!
Chris

Old 11-10-12, 06:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
You have an air leak in your line. The pump won't pull a prime with air. Trick I use is to turn on pump and pour water over fittings.....you'll hear a slurp and the pump may try to prime itself.

Old 11-10-12, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
best I can get pressure up to is 32psi in the 20 gallon holding tank.
Did the pump shut off at 32 psi or did it just run and pressure not increase ?

When you poured water down into well pipe......did it start backing up ? There is a check valve at the bottom of your well pipe which should not allow the water to drain out of line.

Old 11-10-12, 06:55 PM
H
PJ: At 32psi... the pump just kept running. Couldn't get any higher pressure.

When I pour water in the suction line, it stays there until the pump sucks it up. The water level doesn't drop which leads me to believe the check valve is okay.

Old 11-10-12, 07:02 PM
H
here's what the system looks like... sorry about the rusty tank. It's glass lined so the water does come out crystal clear.

Old 11-10-12, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
I'm pulling at straws here 'cause this ain't mine line of expertise. When you get 32 psi in system and turn off pump.....what happens or happened to the pressure ?

Looking at your pic.....at the end of the pump.....are there several plugs in it ? Your well line is in one. Normally on this type of pump.....the water comes into the center of the pump housing.

Last edited by PJmax; 11-10-12 at 07:05 PM. Reason: just saw pic
Old 11-10-12, 07:09 PM
H
The first time I primed the pump, the tank held the pressure at 32psi. It didn't drop until I opened the faucets and started letting it drop.

I've managed to fill the tank just now to 20psi by letting the pump drink from the 5 gallon bucket a few times. It's holding the 20psi.

Old 11-10-12, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Looking at your pic.....at the end of the pump.....are there several plugs in it ? Your well line is in one. Normally on this type of pump.....the water comes into the center of the pump housing.

Also......is this pump right for your application. They are rated in how high they will draw water. If your well is deeper than this pump can manage that will be an issue.

Old 11-10-12, 07:16 PM
H
I hear what you're saying about the center inlet. I believe Flotec does it that way.
The Goulds pump has the intake up top. The other two fittings are 3/8" pipe plugs.

Good question... It's a 1HP 230V Pump and an exact replacement for the one that's been working there the last 2 years. (since we bought the house)

Old 11-10-12, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Your pic looks like the Gould pump. The Flotecs are black ?

Old 11-10-12, 07:21 PM
H
Yes... we have the Gould pump. I was just mentioning that Flotec has a centered inlet.

Old 11-10-12, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
So you replaced your pump with the same pump model that was there originally ?

Old 11-10-12, 07:29 PM
H
Yes... exact model. I didn't want to mess with changing pipes or electric so I paid the extra $$$ for the same model.

I'm stumped on this one... trying to figure out how I can test the pipe going to the well. Would putting a shop vac on the well pipe and trying to suck the water up work? I just want to make certain I'm getting water out of the well.

Old 11-10-12, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
I can understand the extra bucks but you got your money's worth. They make great pumps. I can't understand what the problem is here. I'm not a well guy but I've changed a few pumps. Each one had a little glitch. Usually a leaking fitting that was sucking in air. There are guys here that specialize in wells. Maybe they can shed some more light on the problem.

As far as the shop vac goes...... I'm not sure that would pull any water at all.

Old 11-10-12, 07:42 PM
H
I'm going to recheck the fittings for any air leaks. See if I can increase the suction somehow.

Thanks PJ... hope you guys did okay with Sandy. We lost power for a week and had 3 trees come down. 1 of them leveled my daughter's outdoor cedar play set. (but didn't hit the house!)

Old 11-10-12, 11:15 PM
Group Moderator
Luckily no major damage here. Power out for over a week. Ran a generator the whole time but since the entire town was without power the cable company distribution amps were dead. No TV, no internet and since I have a business I have hardwired copper phone lines. I've got an outside TV antenna up so I did get a few over the air stations.

Let us know how you make out there.

Old 11-11-12, 11:52 AM
H
Just had the well water service people here and it wasn't good news. They installed a hand pump to try and get water out of the well manually and they couldn't do it. All it did was create a powerful vacuum. They feel the intake screen is likely corroded and clogged. We have high iron in the water here. Said we need a new well.

It's ironic because we're supposed to get public water in 4 weeks. I can't see spending the money to get a new well but I can't go 4 weeks without water. I'm gonna see if the neighbor will let me run a garden hose from his house so we can flush toilets and such.

The timing is just the worst.

Old 11-11-12, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
That is harsh. I wouldn't even have bought a new pump with only four weeks to wait. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: