Water occasionally running out

Old 01-27-13, 09:00 AM
I
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Water occasionally running out

I have a well system which is about 12 years old. Recently I have been experiencing an issue where water runs out and after about a minute or two the pressure is back.

I went down to the pressure tank to see what was happening and noticed a few things. My pressure switch is set to 40/60 PSI. My pressure tank is 30 gallons.

When the pressure drops to 40 I hear a click by the pressure switch and you hear water coming to fill the tank. It got to 55 PSI in about 45 secs and then the pump stopped (instead of reaching 60) didn't hear a click from the pressure switch. The pressure starts to decrease (someone showering) and then when it reaches 45 PSI and the pump resumes (no click) and hear water filling the tank. It runs for about 45 secs again and reaches 60 PSI whereby I hear a click by the pressure switch.

It seems as if the pump will only run for 45 secs before stopping and after about 1-2 minutes resumes again.

Is this the sign of a faulty well pump or could it be my well going dry? I was thinking I would hear some spluttering noise if the well was going dry.

Appreciate anyone's advice...thanks.

Old 01-27-13, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It almost sounds like it could be a pressure switch issue. Take the cover off and try observing the operation.

Careful....240vac is on the switch contacts.

Old 01-27-13, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Little bit confused by your using clicks to describe things.

Do you mean the pump motor starts when pressure drops to 40 psi and water pressure begins rising then before water pressure hits the cut out pressure of 60 psi the pump stops.
Then after a short while the pump starts and continues pumping???

If this is so then then it sounds like the pump motor is turning off on the internal motor protector.
Either a weak protector, bad motor ot pressure set too high can cause this.
A common reason the pressure is too high is if the pressure switch has been adjusted using a bad gauge.

First thing I would do and the easiest is to buy a new guage and replace it.
The proper instrument to properly diagnose this is to use a clamp on ammeter and compare the readings to the motor nameplate specs.

Is your pump 240 or 120 volts?

Old 02-17-13, 12:26 PM
I
Sorry for the delay. The issue seemed to go away for a while but now I have guests staying the issue has returned (linked to more demand for water).

GregH,

Yes - as you describe. Pressure drops below 40 psi and pump kicks in as per pressure switch setting. Before it gets to 60 psi pump stops (pressure switch still on) and then after a minute or 2 pump starts again until it gets to 60 psi and pressure switch switches off.

I have a relatively new gauge in to monitor pressure and the pressure switch is working correct 40/60 psi.

When there is a lot of demand for water and the pump isn't running (when it should be) water drains out of tank and hence goes dry until pump resumes.

Does it sound like it is the motor protector rather than the well going dry? It seems to happen most often when there is most demand and the pump has to run in succession during a short time period.

Is the motor protector repairable or am I best getting a new pump installed as it is around 12-13 yrs old?

PJMax,

I don't know if its 110v or 220v but here is a picture of the pressure switch if its possible to tell:

Old 02-17-13, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Yes.....that is wired for 240 volts.

The only way to know what is going on is to put an amprobe on the line. If the motor is cutting out on overload you would probably have it replaced rather then having it repaired.

I would think that if you were running out of water you would get air in the lines in which case you would hear the air entering the tank.......but with the check valve I'm not sure air would actually get in.

Old 02-17-13, 02:58 PM
I
Thanks PJMax.

I've managed to film what happens. There is no sound when the pump appears to stop - so assume it is the thermal cutout? Ignore the sounds on the video as that will be the furnace running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW6MnMPLxfo

Old 02-17-13, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
I can't hear the pump stopping but if it stops running and the contacts on the pressure switch haven't opened then it would likely be the motor internal overload opening.

As the water pressure increases the amperage on the motor also increases and is why it would open at a higher pressure.
It could be a defective overload but also could be the motor windings going bad.
I would suggest replacing the pump.

If you are ok at making pressure adjustments you could temporarily lower the pressure and it may run longer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: