Guidance Needed for Shallow Well Set Up

Old 02-12-13, 08:02 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Guidance Needed for Shallow Well Set Up

Here's the situation...

We're constructing a new home adjacent to a shallow, hand-dug well, diameter of well is approx. 3ft and the water depth is about 12ft to 15ft. Previously the well was used with just a bucket and a rope. We would like to use well for our water source for the home. We are looking for recommendations on a pump, pipes, gauges, valves and pressure tank setup to provide water to the house. The house will be 3bdrms and 2ba and will be occupied by 2 people. Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. This house is not in the U.S. and will need 220/240 volt equipment.

Old 02-12-13, 08:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
I'm not a well man but there is one thing you need to be careful with. There isn't much filtering on a 12' deep well. I would be concerned with ground water contamination.

Old 02-12-13, 02:28 PM
O
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
A regular shallow well jet pump should suffice. As for the pressure tank, get the largest your space can accomodate, would be my recommendation. Put a 30 micron filter (Rainfresh are fine) between your house piping and your pump/pressure tank. If you have a garden hose, I would not filter that if possible. These filters will probably last 6 to 12 months and probably take care of any sediment from your well. Don't filter the incoming water, or at least not too finely, since as the filter catches stuff, your pump will need to work harder and harder and won't last as long. Put a shut off valve on the pressure tank. This will be your emergency water shut off valve in conjunction with a shut off switch for the pump. If you don't do this, if you ever have a leak, you will have to wait until the volume of your pressure tank runs out into your kitchen before the water will stop. Been there, didn't like it one bit.

You will need a foot valve at the end of the hose that is in the well.

Another note: Jet pumps are kind of loud, so don't put them beside a bedroom, if you can help it. A pump house outside or in a crawlspace would be best or use a submersible pump (ultimate quiet).

Anyways, I am sure others will have some thoughts. Good luck.

Old 02-12-13, 03:07 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Id think the first thing to do, is to check the water for potability and flow/recovery rate to see if it's even usable ?

We have a 3ft dia x 12ft deep dug well also. Originally it was made with a metal culvert, but the seam had started letting go so we replaced it with a proper concrete well tile system.
A 1/2hp jet pump would probably be fine, but as Optsy says.. they are a little loud.. maybe high-end ones are quieter ? And I agree with getting a large pressure tank, it reduces the cycle rate of the pump.

Old 02-13-13, 04:48 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I also have a ~3" hand dug well (depth unknown) which is the original well and now current backup water source for my home.

One major concern I have right from the get go is, can this well support your home's needs. Going from a bucket and rope ( a gallon a minute draw maybe), to a pump may prove to be too much for the well.

With that concern in mind, I'd probably suggest going with a piston pump instead of a jet pump.
They are self priming, tough, and can be setup with a motor to meet the locally available power source.

For filtering, pending the available water in that well, you might stir a lot of dirt, so I'd almost consider a large, course filter pre-pressure tank (75-100 micron). The downside (or risk) of going pre-pressure tank is if you do not keep an eye on it, it can clog up and cause your pump to work harder.
As others have mentioned, a large pressure tank, followed by another sedlement filter. The last time on the list I would recommend is a UV filter. This should help compensate for the shallow well.

Here is a quick picture of my 1930's piston pump. Other then it needing clean up (new paint) and a new belt, it still runs strong. The electric motor can be swapped out for any 1/2hp motor.
Name:  Greater Sudbury-20120205-00423.jpg
Views: 9043
Size:  36.4 KB

Old 02-13-13, 09:10 AM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
"Not in the U.S." is a little vague. Is it permitted there to have a home well that is not sealed off to ground-level contamination? Pump houses, well pits, etc are rarely allowed these days because of the risk of contamination from ground sources. Those of us with existing well pits may maintain them ("grandfathered") but it sounds like your proposal goes way beyond that.

Old 02-13-13, 09:20 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was planning on locating the system inside the house. So maybe I should consider a submersible pump due the noise concerns . How do you install a submersible pump in an existing well? (i.e. securing the pump and piping in the well). The well wall is constructed of circular concrete blocks.

Old 02-13-13, 07:50 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I wonder if you can still get a piston pump, with modern updates etc.
I lived on the same floor as an old piston pump (60's ?) , and I remember it as being pretty quiet.
My 25yr old Jacuzzi jet pump will die someday.. maybe I should be looking into a piston pump !

Old 02-14-13, 04:17 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
I wonder if you can still get a piston pump, with modern updates etc.
I lived on the same floor as an old piston pump (60's ?) , and I remember it as being pretty quiet.
My 25yr old Jacuzzi jet pump will die someday.. maybe I should be looking into a piston pump !
I'll have to ask my co-worker what the name brand is today of his piston pump. He installed one at his cabin as it doesn't require priming and he could run on a gas motor or electric motor when his genny was running (no power at the cabin).
It is the exact same pump as what I have in the picture above, only a different name casted in the base. A Quebec company now makes my exact pump under a different name. Only changes between mine and my co-worker's is I'm still using the original style leather gasket where the newer ones use a rubber type gasket on the piston shaft. You'll note in the picture of mine, the leather gasket does start leak a bit sooner then the newer ones (mine has a minor drip I noticed when I ran it one Sunday).
A quick google search indicates POMPCO is the company in Canada (Quebec). Here is a link to the Specs sheet (PDF) for one almost exactly like mine (a few minor changes over ~75yrs) http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...42452523,d.dmQ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: