Clogging line

Old 03-28-13, 06:36 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Clogging line

I'm hoping someone can shed some light as to what may be happening with my septic system.

First let me say that we had out tank pumped clean less than a year ago. At that time we were having an issue with slow draining. While they were cleaning the tank, and after it was empty, they noticed a large amount of paper/building clogging the inlet into the tank, where the elbow is going from the house into the tank. Removed that and everything worked good for about six months. We started noticing that the toilet closet to the septic tank would occasionally take longer than expected to empty. The shower, sink, and tub in that bathroom did not seem to have a problem emptying. Then one day while washing a load of clothes, and someone in the shower, we first heard the gurgling and then the stoppage of water leaving the house. I went to that opposite end of the house, removed the clean-out cap and everything cleared out, allowing us to finish the shower and the load of clothes. We had someone come out and jet the line from the same opposite end of the house and everything worked good for about two months. Last night out of the blue my wife noticed that the toilet was super slow to flush. I went to both bathrooms flushing toilets and running water and it didn't take long for a stoppage to occur. Since having the line jetted we have occasionally had to use a plunger, which we've never had to do before.

I'm wondering what could be causing our line to clog? Is it a line problem, a tank problem, a venting problem ... I'm so confused???

Old 03-28-13, 06:45 AM
G
I also want to add that I opened the line back up last night, living way out in the county does have some advantages, so that we could shower. After opening the clean I continued to notice that the slow darning toilet, which is furthest from the clean out and closest to the tank continues to drain really slow, not completely emptying.

Old 03-28-13, 07:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,759 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
I not completely clear what you said you did in the last post. What is "open the clean"? Did you remove the septic tank lid? Was sewage rising up out of the tank? Did you rod or clean out the line to the house?

More information is needed but you could have one or several problems.

The leach field could be clogged or failing causing things to back up.
You could be putting things down the drain that are causing the clog.
The drain line from the house may not have been completely cleared last year.
The drain line from the house may be damaged, have roots growing in it or could be pitched/sloped incorrectly.

Old 03-28-13, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 79 Upvotes on 71 Posts
As pilotdane states you really need to open the lid on the septic and probably find the d box if you have one.

Not sure where this clean out is but if you are opening that to allow you to use water, then the issue if clearly after that clean out.

In summary it can be a few things. Leach field, clogged d box, root infiltration...etc....

Old 03-28-13, 07:44 AM
G
I'm sorry about the confusion, I got in a hurry while typing.

I opened the clean out line at the opposite end of the house and continued to notice that the toilet on the other end of the house, closet to the septic tank, is continuing to drain slowly.

We have no trees in our yard, so roots should not be an issue.

Old 03-28-13, 08:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,759 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
Like Lowrosa mentioned I would first open the lid on the septic tank. It's level and condition will give some clue to the problem. The tank should be almost full, about a foot or so down from the top which is normal. If it is completely full or bubbling up than you probably have a clog in the output of the tank, distribution box or leach field.

If the septic tank was NOT all the way to the top it points to a problem upstream of the tank. Like the drain lines in the house or the main line from the tank to the house. Since you have the septic tank open it's a good time to have someone with a jetter or power auger work from the tank towards the house to clear the line.

Old 03-28-13, 09:37 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
From what you described, I wouldn't put this at the very top of the list, so would check the septic tank first, as the guys said, but when the lines were cleaned out, did they do the roof vents as well? Wind blown debris, squirrels dropping nuts, bird nests, etc. can plug a vent, and the effect is the same as when you hold your finger over a straw; nothing wants to come out the other end.

Old 03-28-13, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 79 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Additionally if there is a issue with the line to the septic the line should be have a camera sent down as a minimum.

This way you know exactly what your dealing with.

Old 03-28-13, 01:12 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How old is this tank/system ?

We had a somewhat similar situation a while after we built our septic system.
Turned out that the pipe coming into the septic tank got pushed too far into the tank and was very close to the inlet baffle. Eventually, some wad of paper hung up and then more and more. Once I cut the pipe back 6" or so, its been fine since.

Might not be the issue if your system has been fine for years..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: