Draining washing machine into sump pump?

Old 04-03-13, 04:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Draining washing machine into sump pump?

Hi All,

I'm thinking of moving my washer/drier into my cellar, which has a sump pump. Is there any reason not to have the washer drain into the sump pump hole?

Otherwise the hookup would be on the ground floor (one floor up) but I don't know if there's enough pressure in the washer to drain upwards to there. What do you think would be the better option?

Thanks for the help!

Steve

Old 04-03-13, 05:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 904 Votes on 832 Posts
Long ago that would have been OK but most modern codes do not allow gray water discharge onto the ground. So, check with your local building inspections department.

Basically... your sump pump probably dumps out on to the ground outside your home which is OK for groundwater. It is no longer permitted in many areas to simply discharge household gray water (sinks, tubs & showers, dishwasher, washing machine...) onto the ground. That waste in many areas must discharge into a sanitary sewer or septic system.

Old 04-04-13, 09:53 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You can get an inexpensive utility sink pump that attaches right to the sink drain that'll pump the grey water upstairs to your sewer connection.

Old 04-04-13, 02:22 PM
V
Vey
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washing machine pumps are pretty strong. It can probably push it up one floor.

I admit it. My wash water goes to a 50' hose which is used to water a tree. No diapers in this house, and sandy soil, so no problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: