submersible sump pump turns on itermitently

Old 04-04-13, 02:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
submersible sump pump turns on itermitently

Submersible sump pump original to house built in 2004. Sump sometimes fills without the pump turning on. When I tap the out flow pipe, it starts pumping.

Float moves freely, and the switch seems to work.

We have a lot of clay. Emptied out the well, and cleaned it out. Removed the pump, no sign of blockage, put it back in. Hasn't filled back up again yet.

Suggestions? Just time for a new pump?

Old 04-04-13, 10:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You are describing a problem with the pump switch. Cleaning the pit won't have any any effect on that.

Does that pump have a tethered float or is it one of the ones where the float slides up and down ?

If your basement is prone to water then maybe it would be best to replace the pump and float switch assembly.

Old 04-05-13, 09:21 AM
D
Thanks.

Pump is a Zoeller. Float slides up and down.

Once I manually start it, it fills and starts on its own while the water is coming in at a good pace (backs up in the drainage pipes). But eventually fills again without the pump coming on.

We do get a fair amount of water. Better off just getting a new pump?

Old 04-06-13, 03:20 PM
D
Decided to replace the switch. Was pretty easy and seems to have fixed the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 04-06-13, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
If the pump is in a critical area....like where if it overflowed there would be damage done.... pick up a water alarm. It's like the size of a pack of cigarettes. It just sits on the floor next to the pit. If the pit overflows the alarm goes off. Last one I bought was 15.00.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: