Need Help with well Pump.

Old 04-19-13, 06:30 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help with well Pump.

Hello:
I have a problem with my old Century Pump Motor (the label says Jet Pump Duty, part 8-151998-21, 1.5 HP, 3450 RPM). It is located in a 12' deep well and has a 2" suction pipe and 2" discharge pipe. IU don't know how deep it goes under the well. It is connected to a sprinkling system. When I turn it on it seems like it runs for 30 seconds (at least makes some running noise), no water comes out and then it dies. When I loosen the nut on the inlet line for the priming, some water come out so I guess there is water in the system. It is all rusted and corroded and I think it needs to be replaced. I looked online and found two models that seem to fit: Wayne WLS150 and Flotec FP5172 but they both have a 1-1/2" outlet. Would it be OK to put a 2" to 1-1/2" adaptor to the pipe? Am I going to loose or gain anything? Are those pumps ok or do I need something different? Any other advice or warning during installation? I am also concerned on how I will take the old pump off. The metal pipes are so corroded that I may not be able to unscrew the nut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-13, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,020 Votes on 946 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The pump is connected directly with steel pipe ?
Are there any unions in the line ?

If you're only using it for irrigation then a smaller pump should be ok if you can get by with a little less water than your old pump supplied.

Can you shoot a picture or two and post them here for us.

Old 04-20-13, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 586 Votes on 540 Posts
Century is the make of motor. Do you see any name on the pump housing? Without knowing what pump you have it's impossible to say if the two new pumps you mentioned put out the gpm and pressure. Generally though a 2" pump has considerably more capacity than a 1.5".

If you can't find any information about your current pump you may have to work backwards to find the specs you need in a new pump. It sounds like the suction head will be about 12'. You also need to know how many gallons per minute and at what pressure your irrigation system needs. Once you know that you can pick an appropriate pump.

Old 04-20-13, 01:08 PM
A
Some pictures attached

Thank you both for your interest in fixing my problem.
I attached some pics (they are small but hope you can see).
Just to resume:
1- The pump runs when I turn it on but it is kind of silent (I guess, I never had to run it before with me being inside the well).

2-No water comes out and after 30 seconds it stops.

3- The label says it is thermally protected and am worried that maybe the well went dry (is it possible?). I live in New Mexico and we had 4 years of drought. However when I unscrew the big nut on picture 8286 a little bit of water comes out.

Hope this help, please let me know if you need more details. I really appreciate the time you guys spend in helping opther people, you guys are awesome!

Attached Images       
Old 04-20-13, 02:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,020 Votes on 946 Posts
1- The pump runs when I turn it on but it is kind of silent (I guess, I never had to run it before with me being inside the well).
2-No water comes out and after 30 seconds it stops.
3- The label says it is thermally protected and am worried that maybe the well went dry (is it possible?).
Kinda silent.....but it is running ?
Runs for 30 seconds and stops..... that's pretty strange. There should be a pressure switch.....small gray covered box.... do you hear that click when pump shuts off ?

Yes.....your pump is thermally protected....but no water should not cause it to stop in 30 seconds. Does the motor feel real hot ?

The top of your pump is in PVC so that's a plus. The inlet side to the pump is all in steel and will probably need to be cut to dismantle it. You would have to cut it where the red is. Put a wrench on where the yellow is and try to get the coupler to unscrew at the green point.

Attached Images  
Old 04-20-13, 06:21 PM
J
i dont know if this happened to you but it happened to me and i have never seen what happened to me ever before.

Good old 1/2hp Tait pump that gave many years of reliable service on a well in NH that would go dry often with high demand. the well would just get refilled with the brook that was 15ft away for about an hour and then fine again. One day pressure went away like the well ran dry. So did the regular refill but still had no pressure. But had plenty of water at the pump. Took the pump apart, and when I turned the motor on, the impeller slowly came up to speed! The brass threads had separated from the plastic impeller! So went and bought a Grundfos 3/4hp pump to replace it the next day, and I was back on track. (Grundfos was only $260 heavy duty cast iron made in ITALY! Home Depot wanted $300 for plastic chinese pump!)

Old 04-21-13, 05:32 PM
V
Vey
PJMax has a lot more patience than I do. Try to look at those pics objectively and tell us that everything you see is copacetic. I can think of a dozen reasons why you aren't getting water starting with everything being rusted and worn out.

As for the 30 seconds? There is usually a thermal protector on motors. If they overheat, the thermal protector kicks in and shuts the motor off.

I don't think you know how to prime a pump. To do that, get a water hose down there from a faucet, fill up the pump body plus all the suction side pipe and then turn the pump on.

But in your case, I wonder if anything will ever work right. It looks sort of hopeless.