where to place aerator

Old 04-25-13, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question where to place aerator

Hello everyone, Perhaps I can get the correct answer or a majority rules answer. I am adding an aerator system to my septic system and have had mixed answers for which tank to install the aerator in. Tank # 1 or Tank # 2 ???? The tank acually is one tank with a bleedoff to the second from the first. ( typical system ) Even the sellers of these systems give different answers. Please help !! Thanks a bunch. Pat.

Last edited by Patrick11; 04-25-13 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-13, 08:29 PM
Hi and welcom the forum

If you have a two tank system, it would be better to place the aerator in second tank. The first tank is better used for a "trash tank"
The trash tank is where everything goes, be it biodegradablele or not. After most matelal is broken down it flows to the next tank and then to the field. With the aerator in the last tank, it changes the tank to an aerobic tank. That way you will get much cleaner water to the field. In turn the field will last longer.

Old 04-25-13, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
If you have some spare time one of the group moderators has a novel posted here on that same issue. Pretty interesting reading.

lawrosa's thread ...... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/we...lp-advice.html

Old 04-26-13, 07:27 PM
Thank you very much. It made sense to me to place it in # 2 tank but with all those EXPERTS saying #1...#2...#1....#2.... STOP !!!! My brain was starting to hurt. Until I heard from you.

Old 04-27-13, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mighty Mouse....it is a novel. Very good reading.

Old 05-07-13, 01:41 PM
mission accomplished

The aerator was installed in the second tank. I have to give it a couple of weeks to see any changes. What a job !!! Not the installation but all the companies out there that sell aerator systems. The info you get from this one...is backwards to this other one...etc etc. I made the decision to place it in tank # 2 because it does make more common sense. Something a few of the sellers don't seem to have. Even a couple of govt. regulations seem to give two answers. Anyway, I am hoping the 2 grand I spent will be the fix and the tile bed won't have to be replaced.

Old 05-07-13, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
I am hoping the 2 grand I spent will be the fix and the tile bed won't have to be replaced.

What in tarnation did you get for 2K? You may have been better getting a field put in next to your current one, and install a bull run valve. This is so you can alternate tanks.....

Hmmm.... Scary... I hope you put some type of filter in the outlet baffle..

And yes tank #2. You would have been best to pump both tanks first.

In my novel a fellow grizz has the issue of a single tank and solids getting stirred up by aeration...

How clean is your second tank at the moment?

Old 05-07-13, 07:40 PM
What in tarnation did you get for 2K?

I was going to ask the same thing.

Im glad you got it going, but that seems a little high for any type of aerator that I know of.

Old 05-10-13, 03:28 PM
Lawrosa - Waterwelldude.. The complete tank (s) was pumped out and rinsed out. The aerator system was $850.00 Outlet filter $150.00 Risers for the two openings $300.00 Pumpout $180.00 Misc. fittings, extra lines ( the air pump I installed is 30 feet away from the tank ) a load of soil and some sod $200.00 Gas money to fetch parts and customs clearance and freight charges $325.00. I am pretty secluded and have to go out into the world to get most items. That's it. From all I have read and been advised....the output water will stop smelling bad in 1 day and the puddling should dissipate in about a week. I did not put any additives in to kick-start it. there are too many in the marketplace with poor reviews. I am going to a farm supply next week for some sodium carbonate to add at the outlet filter once a month for the first year of rejuvenating the bed. NOW if I could just get this jet pump to work properly. Oh yeah, the costs are a bit high JUST because I live in Canada. :-) Keep smiling guys.

Old 05-10-13, 04:03 PM
I did not put any additives in to kick-start it.

Do not put any kind of additive in there:NO NO NO:.... We have worked on more than a few systems that they put that mess in the tank that they were told would help... It cost them a bunch of money to have it all pumped out and cleaned. If any of than crap worked, there would not be much of a call for pumper trucks.
It should start working good on its own in about three days.

Old 05-10-13, 04:13 PM
do not put additives in

The additives are a waste of $. The additive I will be adding to the output line via the filter, is an oxygenator to assist the aerobatic bugs that will be now leaving the second tank, in eating the bio mat throughout the bed. Most say it does help to speed up the recovery of the bed. After 1 year I am planning on having a plumbing guy do a video inspection of the bed rails. THEN, I am hoping, I can relax and just pump out every 4-6 years.

Hey, know anything about jet pumps ?

Old 05-11-13, 02:12 PM
alternate tanks

Hey there buddy, what do you mean alternate tanks ?

Old 08-20-13, 08:03 AM
Patrick, if you don't mind sharing, what brand aerator did you go with? I've done a ton of reading and email all the different companies, but still can't make a choice. Everyone has good reasons why their's is the best.

Old 09-02-13, 09:21 AM
Which brand name..

Jonnie, the system I purchased was from Septic Solutions. They are near Chicago and on the Internet. I did buy the risers from a local supply closer to me
I reviewed all I could find over a period of about 4 - 6 weeks. Lots of reading, asking questions to the mfg'r and salespersons, each other's competitor and THIS forum and from web sites from States that have laws pertaining to what type of septic system has to be installed in new home builds. All the info I got led me to ''their'' system BUT....not their install guide. I installed the main aerator in my output tank ( not the primary tank where they suggest ) This decision has proven successful. I did install a very small air line to tank # 1 just to assist with the overall operation of growing the appropriate bacteria. Now when I refer to what seems to be two tanks....I have 1 tank with a separator wall that has two openings about 1/2way up for the effluent to flow thru to the output side of the tank. Input side I call tank # 1 and the output side I call tank # 2. BTW...it has been about 10 weeks and there is no puddling and when I inspect the level and clean the filter with the top off, there is hardly any odor. It sure isn't as foul as the puddling I had a few months ago. Whew !! We had lots of company here for Aug and no problems.