Pressure issue after changing pressure tank

Old 07-01-13, 07:11 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Pressure issue after changing pressure tank

Hello everyone,

Over the weekend I replace my old waterlogged pressure tank along with the T-pipe attached to it and relative spare parts such as pressure gauge and pressure switch... Ever since I have very low pressure throughout the house. These are my specs

Pressure tank is set at 28 PSI
Pressure switch is set for 30/50
Good pressure from the well pump

The weird thing is that the pressure in the tank will fall to just above 30 PSI and stay there constantly... without engaging the pump!!! How is that even possible?
Where is the little water I get coming from??

I hope somebody can help me solve this mystery!

Thank you.
Tony

Old 07-01-13, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Does the pump kick off at 50 psi?

The weird thing is that the pressure in the tank will fall to just above 30 PSI and stay there constantly... without engaging the pump!!!
Is the gauge stuck??? Give it a little tap....

Have you checked the air pressure in the tank with the water drained from it? Drain valve left open while checking?

Sounds like you have too much air in the tank and the bladder is collapsing on the outlet. Hence the pump will not kick on and sit at 30psi as you describe....

Let some air out and/or check the air in the tank accurately.

Sometimes you need more then the 2-3psi recommended difference... I have mine set at 8 psi below cut in pressure.

Has to do with pump lag......

Old 07-01-13, 08:12 AM
T
The gauge isn't stuck because when I empty/flush the system to check/set the tank pressure it goes down to zero... and even if the gauge was stuck that's independent from the pressure switch that should go off either way...

I checked the pressure in the tank and it's 28... I'll lower it a bit to try but the question still remain... Assumed that there is too much pressure in the tank it should just empty out and then I should just run out of water... instead I keep getting water just very little.. Am I missing something?

Oh and yes... the switch clicks when the pressure reaches 50 PSI

Last edited by TonyNewton; 07-01-13 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-01-13, 10:47 AM
T
Well the plumber came out this morning turns out you were right lawrosa... the pressure in the tank was 30... even if my gauge measured it at 28 (darn gauge cost me 80 bucks :P )..

Everything else was good... he emptied a little bit of air, changed my filters and he just charged me for the call... Works like a charm!

Thank you!

Old 07-01-13, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Well the plumber came out this morning turns out you were right lawrosa...
Happens all the time. Glad I can help...You could have fixed yourself, but sounds like you got a good deal from your plumber...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: