How long can a shallow jet pump live anyhow ?

Old 07-07-13, 05:16 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How long can a shallow jet pump live anyhow ?

I bought this house 1991 or so, and it came with a 3/4hp Jacuzzi jet pump. I didnt ask the age of the pump as it had a bit of rust flakes on it, and since the house was 1977 vintage, I figured I would need to replace the pump at some point.
22 yrs and some major reno's later, the pump is still in service here.. I havent even had to change out the pressure switch.

At what point do I say enough is enough ?

Two things do concern me.. am I wasting electricity ($ here) with old motor tech and probably worn out vanes ? And, the pump is a little noisy - it's on the main floor - we're used to it, but it would be nice to just have a quiet pump instead.

I wonder if new pumps last 30yrs+ (lol)

Old 07-07-13, 04:18 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
That style of pump is going to have noise.... no way around it with out some kind of sound box over the pump.
What you might look at is a replacement pump just like the one there and leave it in the box in the same room for when the pump goes out you have it on hand and can change it out with out running all over town looking for a pump and the parts.

If any thing is going to break or go bad it is going to be at a time when stores are closed for either weekends or Holidays.

Old 07-08-13, 04:55 AM
V
Vey
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Don't get "smart" and buy a bigger pump thinking you can get more water that way. We get people here all the time that did that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: