Septic Tank Treatments (Like Rid-X, etc.) ?

Old 07-08-13, 05:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic Tank Treatments (Like Rid-X, etc.) ?

Hello,

Any of you folks have any experience with the Rid-X product I think it's called, or any other septic tank treatments, as to prolong the time
required between pump-outs ?

Stuff work, or... ?

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Old 07-08-13, 05:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 743 Votes on 684 Posts
I have never seen any independent studies or reports that they are beneficial and I have used a product for 5 years on a number of my rental properties and have noticed no improvement. I don't think they hurt but I don't think they help so I consider them a waste of money.

I think an anaerobic septic tank can only support so many bacteria. The bacteria naturally reach the saturation point and then adding more is like adding water to a glass that's already full. If you really want to bump up your septic's digestive ability you need to aerate which promotes aerobic bacteria which can work about 20 times faster than anaerobic ones. Again, nothing really needs to be added. Mother Nature conveniently provides all the bacteria that's needed free of charge.

Old 07-08-13, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Dont waste your money. All that stuff does is make the waste breakdown into smaller particles that will clogg your leach field..

It makes your septic one big slurry. The septic is designed to have solids sink, and scum layer float. The center should be the clearer effluent that goes out to the field.

There are trillions more bacteria in human waste then these products have. Just use the toilet regularly and it is the same type treatment..

Its inexpensive to pump your septic. Pump every 3 years. Get some type of filter in your outlet if you can to prolong the life of the septic leach field....

Thats my best advice to you..

Old 07-09-13, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
My grandfather was a strong believer in pouring a packet of yeast down the commode once a month, I try to do the same but I ferget from time to time. My septic system is 23 yrs old, has never been pumped and still works well. I've been trying to get someone to pump it for the last couple of yrs but apparently none of the local pumping companies have any skilled drivers - long, steep winding road.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: