Found Water Well

Old 07-11-13, 08:06 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found Water Well

I recently bought a new house and learned from my new neighbor that there was a water well on my house. After a little digging, I was able to find the well. The well has 2" PVC casing and is approximately 120' deep (I ran a hose down it to see how deep it was. I ran water into the well casing for about 30 minutes to flush it out. I did that 3 weeks ago and there is still 100' of water in the casing. I am not sure if that is a good sign or bad sign. My big question is if there is an easy and inexpensive way to find out if the well is still producing water? I don't mind spending the money once I know that it can produce. Just don't want to send alot to find out it is dry. The neighbor told me that 8 months ago he dropped a small rock down the casing (before it was covered) and heard the rock drop for a few seconds and then a loud splash of water. That is about all the information I have on the well. Any help/advice would be great!

Old 07-11-13, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 79 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Is this casing underground? Was it sealed and abandoned well and you dug it back up?

You know if you opened it and your getting run off down there and what ever else you can contaminate the water supply. You could potentially poison anyone who drinks from that aquifer... Even people miles away...

Let us know. If it was abandoned and capped you cant legally use it afaik....I believe you can get in big trouble too....

Old 07-11-13, 08:45 PM
K
Yes, the casing is in the ground and runs at least 120' deep. This is not at a level that would be drinking water. Drinkable water in my area would be in the 450'+ range. As of 8 months ago, the well casing was stubbed up above ground but when the old owners of the house decided to sell the house, they cleaned up some of the property and either a tractor or lawnmower broke off the top of the casing and the old owner (by all accounts from the neighbor and from what I have discovered) figured it would be easier to just cover it up with 3 or 4 inches of dirt instead of just fixing the pipe. It was never capped or plugged. The use of the well was strictly for irrigation purposes, not drinking.

Old 07-11-13, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator
This is not at a level that would be drinking water. Drinkable water in my area would be in the 450'+ range.
Dont know about that.... Still people in the area may be drinking from 120 ft...

Old 07-11-13, 10:01 PM
K
If they are drinking water from a source at 120' deep in my area, they are either already poisoned or already dead!

My original question is how can I pump water out of the well to test to see if it produces any kind of water. That's all I want to know at this point.

Old 07-12-13, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Is there electric there?

I would first drop a weight on a string and see how deep... Then I would drop a dobber down and see where the water level is....

Then there is a calculation with the size of the casing....

I assume there is nothing down the well like the old pump??? Possibly it dropped?

There is a guy in TX that knows deep wells better then I... Wait for him to chime in...

Old 07-12-13, 06:06 AM
N
Received 20 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Our water table is 15ft. My well is super overkill at 185ft deep. We drank it up until we had a casing issue.

Regarding your well... The first question you should be asking yourself (and/or neighbors) is why was it capped and a new well installed?
By the sounds of it, it wasn't able to support the house requirements. If that is the case, it won't last long watering the grass.
2" is really small (from what I've seen). I don't know of any submersable pumps that would fit that. Could drop a line into it and try running a surface pump like a jet pump or piston pump. I think jet pumps are better for deeper draw, but most don't like running out of water.

Old 07-12-13, 08:03 AM
K
Let me clarify a little. The well was never intended or ever used to supply water to the house. It is very far from the house and located near a barn and pond located on the property. The previous owner used it for livestock and gardening (irrigation) purposes. When the owner passed away, one of
his sons moved into the house and from that point forward the house went down hill. In regards to the well, he did not have a need for it because he did not have livestock and did not garden (or even mow the yard for that matter!). To avoid having the well filled up with debris, runoff, etc. he placed a kitchen pot over the casing and put a few inches of dirt over it (about 8 months ago). The neighbor told me about it and helped me locate it.

When I discovered it I pit a piece of PVC in the casing and found that the well was blocked at about 10' deep. I knew it was deeper than that so I hooked up a water jet tool on the end of a garden hose and immediately broke through what was blocking the well and continued with the hose until I got to the bottom of the well casing (approx 120'). After doing that, the casing was full of water. I did that about 3 weeks ago and there is still 100' of water in the casing. In other words, the water has not been sucked into the water source. I figured that with the 100+ degree temperatures we have been having here and lack of any rain that the water would have subsided substantially by now.

I am not sure if this is a good sign or bad sign on wether the well will produce. Thoughts?

Old 07-16-13, 08:37 AM
T
If the water level is less than 25' you can hook up a shallow well jet pump and test pump it.

Over 25' you will need a jet and a deep well jet pump.

Use an air compressor to blow the well. A ~5ish HP should be sufficient. Run the blowing line down 100' and either blow it out the top (messy) or install a "T" with the hose in the top with a stuffing rag and the discharge pointed away from the well.

Old 07-16-13, 09:20 AM
K
Is there anything I can do (on my own) to help increase water production? I was able to get a utility pump from harbor freight (ran 110' of 3/4" PVC in well and hooked it up to the pump) that was able to pull water up from 110' down but I am not able to calculate how much water it produces because it pumps way faster then the well can produce water. I had to put water down the hole to keep it pumping.

Old 07-23-13, 06:35 AM
T
Throttle the output of the pump to match what the well is making. Find the happy place where the pump will pump steady and not overrun the well.

If you're using a single drop line (shallow well style pump) you're wasting pipe over 33'. Over 25' the pump won't pull it up. As the water level dips below 25' the output goes way, way down until it peters out.

Switch to a deep well style and put the jet down in the well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: