Small stream/aquifer above and below surface HELP

Old 08-08-13, 10:58 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Small stream/aquifer above and below surface HELP

I have a small plot of land in a valley between two large hills/small mountains about 1300ft tall. I have a small stream where there is pools of standing water with water running off the small pools and then disappearing below the surface. Walk down the dry sandy/rocky creek bed 20ft and there will be another pool, about a foot of water. This seems to be a pattern all the way threw the brook. There is water coming out of the sides of the creek bed and in spots where the water is moving you can see the amount of flow. Not fast or a large amount of water but it is def. running water. Pretty sure its an aquifer that in some spots reaches the surface because its the same year round and doesnt change a whole lot with the seasons and or rainfall.

My concern is where to either damn it up or dig a well to collect the water before it surfaces to avoid germs and contamination. Do you have to collect water from under the surface or do you think i could dig one of the existing holes out a few more feet install a spring box or a well head and then cover the whole back, or do you think since the water was probably once on the surface that its contaminated? Should i damn the stream up and make a small pond and pull water from that? Or dig a well to the required depth to ensure im getting unsurfaced ground water?

The water will be the primary source for living and drinking for humans and animals.

This is all brand new to me. Ive been watching videos and reading about spring box installs. I would like to hear what some experts have to say about this. Thank you

Old 08-08-13, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Sounds like you have a flowing artisian well... ( Do a google search and read up on it)

Best to drill down to the aquifer with a proper well... Dont try to capture surface water..

Old 08-08-13, 02:03 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
Why are you considering surface water?

Check with your local inspections or health dept to see if you can use that source for potable water. Use of surface water for human consumption is almost unheard of these days in much of the USA. It would be one thing if you were in the back woods of Alaska but I don't think there is anyplace in Ohio where surface water could be trusted. Northern Ohio has many limestone caves and sink holes that allow opportunities for contamination so I don't know how you could guarantee it's purity.

Old 08-08-13, 02:19 PM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
You definitely need a proper well drilled and tested. Most drilling companies can talk to you about what you will run into down there, how deep, and likely related issues. Besides getting below surface contamination there is always the possibility of minerals and other undesirable conditions.

As for any alterations to the flow of water, damming, pond, or anything fro whatever reason, the government will surely have a say.

I've seen streams like that and they do present some concern for people activity, as sink holes can form where you can't see them.

Bud

Old 08-09-13, 12:27 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Artesian well! sweet that is great news. Im wanting to drill it myself for the affordability plus i dont have running water or electric on the property. ive been watching videos of people drilling with water pressure and a pvc pipe. I wonder if i can use a post hole digger or the pvc method without the water pressure. I guess i will have to get out there and start poking around. Any tips/hints are much obliged. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: