hand drilling a well

Old 08-19-13, 06:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hand drilling a well

interested in drilling a well by hand. have a sandy creek bed that has pools of water every 20ft or so. looking at my neighbor wells they all went down to about 60ft. is it possible to do that by hand or what would be the most cost and environmentally friendly way to do this? i was quoted 4700 to drill and set up all needed components. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-13, 06:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
Is it possible to drill 60' by hand ?

I don't see how. Usually a well casing is installed as the well is dug. Almost impossible to do by hand.

Old 08-20-13, 04:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 102 Votes on 94 Posts
I've known of folks installing a well 20'-30' deep by hand in fla ...... but that's mostly sand. Another method is to 'drill' the well using water from an existing tap but again that only works for a shallow well. I doubt you'd go 60' deep without hitting rock or hardpan. The water drill method is used fairly often if fla for adding an irrigation well. Is this well for irrigation or human consumption? If the latter - I'd want to know it was done right!

Old 08-20-13, 05:35 AM
Received 54 Votes on 49 Posts
Just adding to what MarkSr said, your local jurisdiction is most likely going to want to know that it is done right as well. Just as an example, our water tastes great, has always tested to be fine, and the well is perfectly legal, but the rules have since changed, and our county would not allow us to replace it with one that shallow. So, the first thing to do would be to check your local rules. After that, although I am not in the business, I have driven and drilled a few wells in the 20-30' range, and cannot imagine going any deeper by hand. And those were in mostly sand, but on my primary property, which has heavier soil and a lot of rocks, I tried both drilling and driving one for the garden a few years ago, and gave up after a couple of fruitless days. No, even in "ideal" soil, I can't see a 60' well by hand either.