Pressure tank filling quickly

Old 09-14-13, 07:54 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure tank filling quickly

I have a 32 gallon pressure tank. Water pressure in house is good. Problems: 1) pump kicks in at 40psi. It takes 6 seconds to get to 50 psi and just over 1 second to get to 60 psi and pump shuts off. 2) turn on faucet and with just a little water coming out, pressure guage drops to just under 50 psi. So, my pump is running much more often than needed it seems.

I pushed the air valve and no water came out, just air. Tank sounds full at bottom and hollow at top. 6 seconds is way to fast I beleive. I have not yet drained the tank and checked the pressure which I understand should be around 37 or 38.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-13, 08:02 AM
I would drain the tank and check / adjust the air pressure.

You didn't say how much water you are getting between cycles (drawdown). Does it seem like the drawdown has also reduced.

If you find out that the air pressure in the tank is very low, you should adjust it again to the correct level. The system should go back to working like it is supposed to, however it can be misleading. Keep an eye on the drawdown over the next few weeks. If it progressively gets less and less, then you can assume your pressure tank's diaphragm is toast and you should replace the tank.

Old 09-14-13, 08:47 AM
How do I determine drawdown?

Old 09-14-13, 09:01 AM
How do I determine drawdown?

Old 09-14-13, 09:15 AM
You can usually get a good ballpark estimate. Just wait until the pump fully fills the tank and shuts off. Then open a tap to a measuring quart container or something like that, if you think it is in the range of a few cups or quarts of water or count toilet flushes if you think the drawdown is the gallon range (assuming you know how much your toilet uses to refill).

You didn't say what type of pump you have but assuming your pump shoots out 5 to 10 gallons per minute, with it only taking 7 seconds, it sounds to me that your current drawdown would be in the range of 2 to 4 quarts of water. That would be less then a gallon of water from a 32 gallon tank. That sounds like a defective bladder to me but the only way to determine it for sure is to drain the water, check and then adjust the air pressure to 3 psi below cut in and let it go for a few weeks. Again, once fixed, attempt to get a ball park figure on the new water drawdown (probably using toilet flushes) so that you have a reference to determine if your drawdown is reducing.

So that you understand where I am going with this. The air in the tank not only produces the pressure but is also critical in determining the water drawdown of a pressure tank. The higher the drawdown, the less times your pump cycles on and the longer your pump will last. If your bladder is perfectly sealed, the air remains in the tank and your drawdown will not change. If the bladder ruptures and the air and water mix, the air will still provide pressure and drawdown, but over time the air will slowly dissolve into the water. This is the main reason bladders are installed in the tanks. As the air goes away, your water drawdown reduces. Eventually you get to a point where the pump starts cycling on every time a tap is opened. This is really hard on the pump and should be avoided.

Old 09-14-13, 09:36 AM
OK, thank you. I will check this all out.