Draining old galvanized tank... running back into old well?

Old 09-20-13, 03:40 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Draining old galvanized tank... running back into old well?

I have a very large galvanized well tank in my basement. Just bought the house. City water has been installed for a long time, so i no longer need it and I want that large volume of water out of the basement.

There is a spigot that I tried to drain from, but all that happens is air sucks in hard, bubbling inside the tank. I'm guessing the check valve is rotted out and the large volume is just running back into an abandoned well.

Question: is this alright? What could happen to the well if all this water runs back in? I'm fairly nervous with this as its sooo much water.

Thanks!

Old 09-20-13, 03:45 PM
G
Also, the switch that looks like it controls the valve just before it leave for the well... that's old and no longer works. So it's wide open.

Old 09-20-13, 04:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you no longer use the well, you can disconnect it electrically from your breaker panel, cut the wires too short to be used again and pull the switch from the system. Since the well is abandoned, the water that you may have in your tank is miniscule to the content of the well which probably holds thousands of gallons. The check valve is probably stuck open and it is siphoning the water back into itself. No harm.

Old 09-20-13, 04:21 PM
G
Thanks for the info. I guess I just want to be sure that it is going back in the well, and not somewhere else...

I have two well heads out in the yard... not sure which it's going to. I did a quick listen to both while it was draining and heard nothing. Although now that I think about it, it probably wouldn't make noise as it's going back in under water.

Just being nervous I guess.

Old 09-21-13, 11:25 AM
G
Successfully drained it all back into the well. Now I just need to drag that heavy tank out of the basement!

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-21-13, 11:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Glad we were here. C'mon back anytime.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: