Sump weep holes

Old 09-23-13, 03:12 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump weep holes

I'm installing a 16" x 16" x 14" sump in my basement. Currently it's a catch basin bought from home depot. The sump will be fed by french drain. I'll put 3 inches of gravel under the sump, and gravel all around, and then pour a concrete floor around it. Tuf-Tite 16 in. 2-Hole Drain Sump with Grate and Seals-2HDS-4 at The Home Depot

Is it recommended to drill weep holes into the bottom of the sump? If so what size and how many? The drainage under this sump is not good, the soil is compact clay.

Thanks a ton ..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-13, 04:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 601 Votes on 555 Posts
I think sumps should have holes to allow water to enter. Even though you are feeding a drain line into the sump it's generally in your best interest to let any water enter the sump. It depends on the size of your gravel but I generally drill a series of 1/2" holes. Why 1/2"??? It's the biggest drill in the box I normally carry. You just want the holes to be small enough that the gravel can't plug the holes and bigger is generally better.

Old 09-23-13, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,046 Votes on 970 Posts
Like Dane mentioned..... you definitely should have holes in your sump pit. Not only will it allow any water under the slab to drain in...... it will allow some of the water to drain into the ground rather than having to be pumped out.