pressure relief valve sprays water

Old 10-10-13, 07:05 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pressure relief valve sprays water

I have an underground well. We have been getting a ton of air in our water line lately. I had water is spraying from the pressure valve so i replaced it. This did not fix it. Now after you run the shower the valve sprays water. The only to stop it is to turn on an out side hose faucet. Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 01:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

What pressure valve are you referring to..... where is it located ?
Do you have a pressure gauge on your well...... if yes...... what does it read ?

Old 10-11-13, 02:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Is it the relief valve at the tank? Above the well head? Replace the relief valve, as it is probably defective. What pressures are you showing on your gauge?

Old 10-11-13, 02:18 AM
T
valve

On the top of the well casing coming out of the ground there is a 75 psi valve. I do have a gauge and replaced it when i replaced the valve. I have not seen the pressure over 70 psi.

Old 10-11-13, 02:29 AM
You have already replaced the valve and it is leaking, or spraying? Is it seated properly and did you use thread sealant when you installed it?

Old 10-11-13, 08:19 AM
T
It is blasting water out. This morning i had to tap on the pressure switch to get the water to stop. I bought a new switch today. I have not installed it yet. The supply house only had switches to 60 psi. Not sure what my switch is but the gauge reads 70 psi when pump is running.

Old 10-11-13, 02:18 PM
60 is fine, but a little high. Your relief valve may be undersized as well. Do you know the specs on it? The 60 psi is a maximum. They come preset to probably 45 on top, which is fine for household use. You are bordering on too high a pressure at 70. Let us know how it goes. Set it at 25/45 to see if it is acceptable, and to see if the relief quits spraying.

Old 10-11-13, 02:50 PM
O
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I assume you are changing the switch for when your pump cycles on and off. It sounds to me like the one you have is not operating properly. Thank god your pressure relief valve is. 70 psi is too high and is probably happening because your current switch is not shutting off the water.

In any event you will need to know both the cut in and cut out pressure of the new switch so that you can set the air in your pressure tank to 2 psi below the cut in pressure. This is also critical to the proper operation of your well system. The air pressure must be set when the pressure tank is completely empty of water.

Old 10-16-13, 06:35 PM
T
Thank you all. I changed the switch and set it to turn off at 60psi and have not had any issues. The bad news is i added over $700 to my electric bill over 4 months. The pump is behind my shop so i cant see it. If my neighbor would have not seen it spraying water i would sill be shelling out wasted money. Thanks again to all!!!!!

Old 10-16-13, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
Glad you got it fixed..... thanks for the update.