Well Question

Old 10-17-13, 09:14 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Well Question

I am purchasing a home that had water in the basement (4 ft initially). I need to replace the pump controls and maybe the pressure tank. The tank is questionable because it was under water but does not appear damaged and the water lines to the tank were intact. The home is presently owned by HUD and has power. When I was looking at work that needs done the wiring for the pump to tank had been cut. It was cut a foot from the wall in the basement to the pressure switch. The wiring to the well is in conduit (flexible) but had water dripping from it. I'm sure that is not a good thing. I need to make sure the pump will run is there a way to test the pump with a meter to make sure its functional before applying power to start it? Thanks for the help!

Old 10-17-13, 10:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 868 Votes on 799 Posts
I assume you are talking about a submersible well pump. The best way to test it is to power it up and see if it works because they are basically two things. An electric motor and a pump. Using a meter on the wires might tell you some things but can't tell you if the pump is good or not. Also, it's less helpful to try and test a electric motor through a long length of wiring that could have it's own problems. Powering up the pump would also allow you to find out if the piping is intact.

Old 10-17-13, 04:37 PM
D
Yes, I am talking about the submersible pump. I had though along the same lines. Hook it up and see if it runs. Any correct steps on getting it back in service as far as the pressure tank goes?

Old 10-17-13, 05:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 868 Votes on 799 Posts
The pump will run (or not) regardless of the pressure tank. The pressure tank's only job is to make the pump/system run more smoothly and efficiently. If the tank is toast there may be a leak (very doubtful) or the pump may cycle on/off more rapidly when water is being used.

If there is a pressure gauge great. If not you can install one on a spigot. Turn on the pump and hopefully the system will come up to pressure. Make sure nothing in the house is using water. Turn the pump off and see if the system holds pressure. If it holds pressure it generally confirms that the pump works and that there are no leaks in the house, underground pipe to the well or pipe down the well.

Old 10-18-13, 04:35 PM
D
Pilot Dane, I need to cap lines in the kitchen where the PO removed all the cabinets but then I think I can pressurized the lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: