Views: 339
Size:  9.9 KBName:  1452373_10200668432983148_1641138716_n.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  37.9 KBName:  1003944_10200668433263155_5805505_n.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  12.1 KBName:  1452214_10200668433663165_732135476_n.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  9.5 KB

I am a first time home buyer and am learning as much as I can about everything I can so please bare with me. I bought my house in July of this year, and I know that a new well was put in 7/11/13. Everything is brand new except for the pump. It is a sears jet pump 1/2hp in the basement. It is attached on top of a new tank. I noticed the other night that it was running non stop so I went down there, it was warm to touch and there was a small puddle on the floor. I can see a small drip coming for where the motor attaches to the pump body. I have attached a picture of the spot it is leaking, as I am not sure of correct wording of these parts. I noticed the guage was not getting over 35psi so last night, we replaced the pressure switch on the pump because I think someone messed up the cut-in and out screws anyways. I had to turn off the fuse just so the motor did not get too hot. Could this tiny drip be the cause of pressure not being able to build??. I called the company that installed the new well and they said from all the symptoms, it could not be anything to do with the new well, it has to be a pump issue. They want to charge $100 to just come look at it...so we would like to try fixing it on our own first.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-13, 07:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 166 Votes on 156 Posts
The drip is not the cause but it and the rusty motor are symptoms of an old pump. The shaft seal is leaking (old age) and the internal parts of a pump slowly erode over time causing the pump to be less efficient and not able to generate the same pressure and flow as it was when new. Depending on how it's plumbed, replacing it should be pretty simple.

Oh, most pressure switches are adjustable so if someone adjusted the settings they can be easily set back but now at least you have a new pressure switch. Since you've installed a new pressure switch read up on setting the pressure tank's air pressure. You can adjust either the air pressure in the pressure tank or the pump's cut on pressure to get the same result.

Old 10-31-13, 08:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok so the drip will not cause the pressure not to be able to build up to cut off.? So in your opinion, should I just lower the cut off point to 35? I figured this would just make the pump kick on alot more frequently. Or would replacing the whole pump be beneficial as far as electricty use?? Any good brand suggestions?
Thanks for your quick responce! Being a single female home owner can make situations like this very upsetting, so all the help and advice I can get the better before I call an expensive repair company!

Old 10-31-13, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 7 Posts
No dont lower the psi to 35... It would seem you have a suction leak somewhere on the line from the pump to the well head outside...

IMO the well people should come out and check at no charge... Dont let them take you for a ride here... Although you probably need a new pump the issue is most likely in the line...

If you have them come out they may tell you different. They may change the pump and charge you extra that you are unaware of to make up for a suction leak somewhere... If you call them watch what they do...

Like I said ask them what warranty they carry... Should be at least 1 yr...