Sewage smell when large use of septic

Old 11-13-13, 06:30 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewage smell when large use of septic

Hi All,
I am a new homeowner and have had a nagging problem since I moved in. I will get a sewage gas smell when I have a hard use of the septic system. It does not happen often but if I use the septic system pretty extensively I will get a sewage smell coming from around the drain pipe in the basement. By extensively I mean the equivalent to 2 people taking a shower and using the bathroom to get ready. When it is just one person everything is fine.

Originally, there was an open drain in the basement where someone had mocked out for a toilet so I sealed that thinking that could be the problem. I also snaked out the septic vent at the top of the house in case it was plugged. But I am still getting the smell every so often. When I had the system inspected the inspector said I had about 2 years before I needed to get the tank cleaned so I do not believe it is that.

Does anyone have any ideas why I would be getting this smell? How would I go about fixing it? I looked around the pipes and it does not appear to have any cracks but has a rubber boot that could be getting old. Any way to pinpoint the gas/air leak?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-13, 06:38 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Any fixtures in the basement that are not getting used and could have dry traps?
Not sure how anyone could more then guess on when your tank needs pumping.
Sniffed around the toilets to check for a leaking wax ring?

Old 11-13-13, 07:23 AM
K
No fixtures I could see with dry traps.

The inspector measured my solids level and said the tank still had room for another year or two.

Smell is coming from the basement and not around any toilets, so I do not believe this could be the problem. Good questions though!