Running a new drainfield ??

Old 12-04-13, 06:24 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running a new drainfield ??

Tank stays full almost to the top with water - waste floats and sinks quickly - but because the water level is so high all the time , I'm sure that some of the waste has been deposited out into the drain-field. The leech lines sit right along side a monster of a maple tree , new 8 inch lines where installed about 8 years ago and 2 years ago I added about 40 feet of additional 12 inch infiltrator pipe.

But I believe the tree has probably filled everything up with roots as the old leech lines where so root impacted that not even light could penetrate.

So when weather permits I would like to run a new 4 inch solid line to the back yard where the maple trees are 60 - 70 feet away. The solid line would run about 60 - 70 feet - I would make sure line is level with min. fall & would hook up 4 runs of 12 inch infiltrator pipe 60 feet for each run. My soil is a gravely mixture that drains beautifully even after heavy rains. I would not abandon the front lines , but maybe treat them with a root kill and let them hopefully recover

My question is - is there a distance limit on how far away the leech line can be from the septic tank?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-13, 07:29 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not sure how it works there but here if someone was caught doing this you would be fined.
Sure you do not need permits from the health dept. and a plan drawn by a soil scientist?

Old 12-05-13, 04:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Usually where/how a septic drain field gets installed is dictated by the local health dept division that handles septic systems. I'm not sure they'd fine you [might depend on locale] but they can condemn your septic system leaving your home uninhabitable until it's brought up to meet their standards .... and they are always more picky once violations have been found.

Old 12-05-13, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
I have found Health and Environmental Services Dept's to be extremely accommodating when dealing with septic issues. Often actually helping design a system that will fit on the lot. In my experience they will do everything possible to not condemn so I would not be afraid to contact them. Since you have reoccurring problems their expertise and local knowledge could help you design a system that lasts.

No, there is no limit on how far away a leach field can be. For a gravity system it's dictated by the site elevations. Since you need fall to keep shtuff flowing downhill you reach a point where the leach field is too deep. Going another 70 feet would require at least 17 inches of additional fall & depth.

You mention the large tree. Have you ever thought of cutting it down? You are having serious and expensive septic problems. I think it's time to create a nice grassy yard with no trees for your leach field.

Old 12-05-13, 06:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
just to clarify - I meant that the health dept could condemn because of unpermitted work, not because your current permitted system has failed. Locally, our health dept dictates how/where the system is to be place but they will listen to input for alternative plans.