Crawlspace water problem.

Old 12-10-13, 08:08 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Crawlspace water problem.

After a long rain I have water entering through the CMU wall cracks. The water filters into the ground of the crawlspace in a day or two so I don't think I need a pump, I think it just needs to be diverted down into the ground if it does enter the crawlspace. I don't have a lot of money to hire this done and I don't think I can expose the footer for I have a bad back, I can dig a foot or so. I've attached 2 sketches of what I think I can do, COULD ONE OF THESE WORK, if so, what type of glue, caulk or mastic would be best to use to apply the rubber or I might use plastic, the block wall will be wet and dirty with Georgia clay.
Name:  Photobucket 4.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  30.0 KBName:  Photobucket 1.JPG
Views: 966
Size:  47.1 KBName:  Photobucket 2.JPG
Views: 958
Size:  42.8 KBName:  Photobucket 3.JPG
Views: 1739
Size:  39.8 KB

Last edited by catfishhoward; 12-10-13 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-10-13, 08:50 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Far better to address this on the outside.
Why not prevent it instead of dealing with it after it's already in and done the damage.
So many things can cause this.
No gutters.
Gutters with down spouts not far enough away from the foundation.
Grade not running away from the house.
Foundation not sealed.
No French drain.
Mulch piled up against the foundation.
Flower beds forming ponds.

Old 12-10-13, 09:28 AM
C
I've addressed what I can from the outside without digging up my landscaping to water proof the wall or adding a drain. I would prefer working under the crawl space since I have a tenant in the house and a lot of bushes at the foundation.

Thanks,

Old 12-10-13, 03:02 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
While I agree that most of the moisture problems I have ever seen can be handled with proper gutters and grading, and internal french drain would not be ineffective here either.

Old 12-10-13, 06:53 PM
Z
Received 87 Upvotes on 81 Posts
DIWoW

While I agree that most of the moisture problems I have ever seen can be handled with proper gutters and grading, and internal french drain would not be ineffective here either.
Grading seems to be the most recommended solution yet there are cases where that just does not work. I have a corner of my home with properly installed gutters that function well. However that corner of the home is at a low spot.

Grading away from the home is impossible as it would require the soil level to be several feet up on the brick siding. There must be many people with the same kind of situation, including catfish. Wish it were that simple!

p.s. maybe these homes should have never been built on that location? Maybe that's the answer?

Old 12-11-13, 04:26 AM
D
I have water in my crawl space after a long rain. What I think is the problem is I have clay under the few inches of topsoil that was added. I've tried the long drain pipes from the gutters and got no change with the water problem. I installed a sump pump to take care of it. Much less work than doing a drain around the entire foundation.

Old 12-11-13, 04:48 AM
C
Since I can't address the problem from the outside at this time I have decided to dig down to the footer in the crawl space and put a rubber liner down the block wall and footer with Henry Asphalt Emulsion 107, I'll also fill any large cracks with Quikrete 20 lb. Hydraulic Water-Stop Cement. I'll let you know how it works after the next heavy rain.

Thanks,

Old 12-24-13, 09:17 AM
C
Name:  Back.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  51.1 KBName:  front.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  51.2 KBI found out the Henry Asphalt Emulsion 107 would not work on the inside of the wall and that the plastic won't hold so I decided to work on the outside of the house. Once I dug down at the brick face of the foundation I noticed some bricks turn on there sides with the 3 holes open and the 12" block below them, So I concreted the holes closed and bought some Georgia Clay and raised the grade at my foundation to slope faster away from the house, this seemed to have fix the problem in the back.

I found the same problem in the front with the bottom bricks turn on there sides and alot of mole holes along the foundation (really soft decayed top soil). I dug out a portion of the soft dirt along the foundation and down to the 12" block and filled this with concrete the whole 20' lenght. Once the concrete was hard I put some clay on top the concrete and sloped it towards the bushes 2' away. The bushes are not allowing me to slope any further than 2' and with the loose mole holy soil I still have water coming though the blocks, not really sure what to do now.

Old 12-30-13, 06:20 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
like the waffleboard - good idea - use conc nails to hold extrusion in place - pm me on extrusion source - would like to buy some in atl - thanks in adv

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: