Sewage ejection pump

Old 01-13-14, 01:01 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewage ejection pump

I have a sewage ejection system for the downstairs bathroom. It's probably getting a bit old (over 30 years) but it has been working just fine. In the last ten years or so I've replaced the float switch once and the check valve twice. Recently it has started "thumping" for a few seconds when the pump shuts off. This behavior continued after replacing the check valve. If I eliminate the float switch and plug the pump in directly, the thumping still happens when unplugged. The pump appears to be otherwise working ok. When it turns on it runs for about 8 seconds; then it shuts off, and for about 10-12 seconds the thumping occurs, about maybe 50 thumps, at first louder and slower, then getting faster and quieter.

Am I just hearing a pump telling me that it's about to quit? Or am I overlooking something simple?

Old 01-13-14, 03:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you had said one thump I would have said it's just the check valve. I'm totally guessing that you might be hearing the check valve chattering. After all, the pump is off when you are hearing the chatter so there is not much else that could make a sound.

Old 01-13-14, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
and the check valve twice. Recently it has started "thumping" for a few seconds
Have you recently replaced the check valve?

Have you replaced with the same type/brand? Same position?

Like water hammer in water pipes you may have always had this issue... You may be noticing now because a pipe strap may have broke.... This is causing the pipe to slap against another object...

Old 01-13-14, 05:15 PM
C
The check valve that was in there was a Legend S-672, installed by a plumber several years ago. My immediate thought was a chattering check valve, so I replaced it several weeks ago with the identical part in the same position. No joy, however.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow and see if I can find any broken straps or see physical movement of the pipe.

Thanks for your comments!

Old 01-24-14, 12:25 PM
C
I'm unable to find any broken or loose straps (mostly because the longest run is inaccessible), nor can I see any physical movement of the pipe. However, I'm pretty sure it actually is the check valve. That seems to be the point where the thumping is greatest (by gripping the pipe with my hands). But the valve I replaced had worked just fine for several years, and replacing it did not help. What could possibly have changed that would cause the check valve to chatter? Could some partial obstruction past the check valve cause this?

Old 02-16-14, 02:31 PM
C
Solved

Just to wrap this up, I replaced the Legend check valve with a Campbell Quietsewage check valve, and the problem was solved. All is beautifully quiet now. Thanks for your advice!

Old 02-16-14, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Thank you for the update... Much appreciated....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: