Sump Pump backup battery alarm

Old 02-16-14, 07:44 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sump Pump backup battery alarm

Hi, my main sump pump works with no problem. Past few months my backup battery alarm started to happen each week , I'd reset and the charger would should the battery was charged, but finally it stopped working, the charge light would never come back. After replaced the new battery (We didn't add water/acid to the new battery, don't know if this is the issue?.) , the charger light came on and the status was charged, the backup sump pump started working but after about 24 hours, the alarm came back on, I did reset again, alarm stopped. I also tried to touch some wires from the charges and noticed when wiggling/lifting some wires, the indicator on the charger would move to uncharged but shortly would come back to charged state.
I am not sure if this indicates something wrong with the backup charger itself?
What is next step to try? Not sure if the charger is sold by itself? After brief internet search, I only saw the complete backup systems, up to $600 range?
what if I only need charger? Also, in case I need to buy one, any advise if I am looking for quality first but price matters as well?
thanks

Old 02-17-14, 06:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
First, you should confirm if your new battery is properly filled with electrolyte. You should also check it every several months and top off with distilled water if needed.

You may have a loose wire or bad connection if wiggling wires can make things come on or go off. You may simply have a loose connection or broken wire which would be easy to fix. Worst case if the charger is toast you probably could get by with almost any decent battery charger that is capable of being left connected to a battery long term. Cheap chargers will overcharge the battery and cook off the water but a better charger will automatically turn itself off when the battery is fully charged.

Old 02-23-14, 09:00 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you, I appreciate your response

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: