Safely and Permenantly Closing a drain that connects to city rain overflow line.

Old 02-19-14, 07:59 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safely and Permenantly Closing a drain that connects to city rain overflow line.

I have a basement apartment that is 3 steps down from the street. There is a drain at the base of the steps to collect water at the base of the stairs. Alas, it is connected to the city's overflow drainage for heavy rains. As global weirding has increased, a once-every-three year overflow problem has become a regular occurance, flooding the basement. I have tried the heavy duty plugs recommended by the contractors and hardware store, and paid big bucks for different versions and manpower to screw it down tight. Doesn't work. That water wants to come up, and keeps on finding a way. I am ready to concrete it, but I want to do it in a way that won't flow too far down the drain, and mess up connections I don't know about, or get into the city line.
My idea is to put a water sealant around the inside (such as used for roofing), stuff a 'bag' of heavier mil plastic down about 6-10 inches, and then fill with a water resistant concrete patch. Any thoughts/recommendations/similar projects?
The amount of water that the drain wicks away is no where near the gallons that come up from the street. I have contacted the city, they were no help.
Old 02-19-14, 12:24 PM
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 238
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a little more info. Is it steel or plastic? How far below ground elevation is the drain invert? is there fall away from the building? Why I ask is because you can add a pipe to the drain when it begins to overflow and send it to the street. Just make sure the invert of the stand pipe is above the street elevation.
Old 02-19-14, 02:04 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 28,351
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,462 Posts
If you've tried inflatable or screw expanding rubber plugs I'm not sure a concrete one will work either as the rubber ones are pretty reliable. Are you certain the flooding water is actually flowing through the pipe? I wonder if water is flowing along the outside of the pipe and emerging around the floor drain making it look like your plug leaked. It also could simply be a simple basement type leak where being underground is sorta like being in a leaky boat.

If you are certain the water is coming through the pipe I would stuff a rag, rubber ball or screw type expanding plug into the pipe as far as you can reach. The fill the pipe with hydraulic cement. Hydraulic cement expands as it cures and is very good at forming a water tight seal. Normal concrete and mortars tend to shrink and allow leakage after it cures so make sure you get "hydraulic cement".

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: