check valve location confusion

Old 03-08-14, 05:40 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
check valve location confusion

I recently purchased a new submersible sump pump to replace my old one. The instructions said to put the check valve just a few inches above the ejection port and under the water line. Reading internet instructions on sump pump installation, however, I see a lot of posts that say the check valve should be above the water line. Can anyone tell me which way is correct, and why? Thank you.

Old 03-08-14, 05:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,713 Upvotes on 1,529 Posts
You did not say what pump you have so we can't say anything specific about your pumps instructions. Generally you want the check valve close to the pump but some prime better if the check valve is located a little further away and with a breather hole in the line between the pump and check valve.

Old 03-08-14, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,340 Upvotes on 2,999 Posts
Depending on the height of your vertical line..... it may be better to have the check valve higher to keep it from banging when the pump stops.

Old 03-08-14, 02:54 PM
Received 649 Upvotes on 574 Posts
Please understand that a check valve is not ABSOLUTLEY NECESSARY. All it does is prevent the remaining water in the discgharge pipe from going back into the sump pit. You can pretty much put it where you want or not at all. You want to locate in such a spot that the water that returns from the pipe does not fill up the pit and makes the pump go on again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: