Lubricating a Fairbanks Morse ESWP-3 Water Pump

Old 03-12-14, 12:42 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lubricating a Fairbanks Morse ESWP-3 Water Pump

For my Shallow Well domestic water I've been using a Fairbanks Morse ESWP-3 Pump (a centrifugal pump) located in my basement to draw water from a spring located about 400 feet away, and to pressurize the water distribution system inside the house.

I'm pleased with the performance of this pump; but need to know how to lubricate the bearings of the electric motor that drives the pump.

I thought that this pump might be permanently lubricated and sealed at the factory; but I can't be certain; and I haven't been able to reach anyone at the factory who even recognizes the pump as one of theirs.

The pump has a label on it indicating that it was made by Fairbanks Morse out of Thomasville, Georgia; but a call to that Facility revealed that they moved to some place in Tennessee. A call to Tennessee, produced similar un-recognition. The pump itself says it was manufactured in Italy.

The Pump runs at 3450 RPM and produces 1/3 HP. It makes quite a bit of noise when running; but some other Homeowners and Plumbers have told me that is typical for pumps similar to this one . . . . but none of them has this specific pump.

Does anyone have any familiarity with this pump, and how to lubricate it, or if that should even be a concern ?

We installed this pump to replace an old bronze Myers 1909 Piston Water Pump which serviced this old farmhouse for the past 40 or more years; but gave up the ghost when the piston rod broke; and my handyman replaced it with this unit, (as a unit - pump, pressure tank and high/low pressure switch, et cetera) . . . . but he couldn't speak to how I should be lubricating the motor.

Old 03-12-14, 02:17 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The pump

Unless you see any oil cups, or grease fittings on ether end of pump motor, the sealed bearings are lubricated for life [I don't know whose]. Pumps sometimes make a lot of noise if they don't have a certain amount of head pressure, or also high suction pressure [vacuum]. or just starving for water.
Sid

Old 03-12-14, 02:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Fairbanks Morse was purchased by Pentair. Maybe an email to them would yield some results.

Pentair - Contact Us

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: