sewege pump and ground water leak. Suggestions needed

Old 04-03-14, 03:23 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sewege pump and ground water leak. Suggestions needed

Hello,

I am facing the following issue and I was wondering if anyone can assist me in this. In my basement I have a sump pump and a sewer pump. The problem is that ground water is leaking not only to the basin where sump pump is but also to the sewer pump (the sewer pump should only have water from the bathroom that is in the basement). There seems to be a small hole or crack in the basin where the sewer pump is installed and through there the ground water is getting in. (the crack is at high point in the basin close to the end of it) Question is this, if I would go and seal that hole what will happen to all that water? Will my basement start flooding or the water that was supposed to enter the sewer pump will go into my sump pump basin?

Basically my concern here is I do not want to block a passage where water is currently going in and create water pressure that will cause the water to come to the surface.

thank you for your help

Old 04-03-14, 05:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
You do have a valid concern. Water entering near the top of your sewage basin means the water level outside the basin is about that high. Plugging the hole and not using the sewage pit as a sump pit could cause water problems. How far apart are your sump and sewage pits located? Is a second sump pit an option?

Old 04-03-14, 05:13 PM
A
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
Ground water is not supposed to enter a sewage pump basin. If you have a crack in the bottom of the sewage pump basin then half of the time ground water will be coming into the basin and have to be pumped away by the sewage pump (so far so good until the volume is too much for your septic tank) but the other half of the time (when the water table is low) sewage will be seeping out of the pit into the ground. This can lead to persistent odors in the basement.

The (ground water and French drain) sump pump pit is supposed to take care of your entire ground water basement flooding problem. If not, most likely your French drain (perimeter drain pipes) has a blockage. And the French drain is meant to depressurize the ground so you don't have seepage of water up onto the basement floor.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-03-14 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 06:15 PM
D
I have attached a picture of how far the pumps are. The left pump is a sump pump and the right pump is the sewage pump. However ground water is getting into the right pump.

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-14, 06:18 PM
D
In reply to AllanJ, the hole/crack is actually not on the bottom of the basin but closer to the top of it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: