Recent trouble with my Water System, well, pump and pressure tank

Old 04-20-14, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recent trouble with my Water System, well, pump and pressure tank

I purchased this property in January so am limited with knowledge of the system.
Well is 30' with 20' of water, diameter is 3'.
The well is approximately 200 yards from the house. The pump system is all in the basement of the house.
The pump is a jaccuzi pump as is the electric 110 volt motor. The tank is an air-over-water galvanized tank approximately 80 gallons (estimated).
I replaced the 30/50 pressure switch with a new one approximately one month ago and until this weekend everything was working as it was supposed to.
On Thursday night I noted the pump was running continuously so I checked it and the pressure was sitting at 38 psi and not rising. I shut everything off and the system maintained the pressure so there doesn't appear to be a leak. I have drained the tank completely and let it refill. I have changed out the pressure switch again in case it was faulty. There has been no change and unless I go down and shut off the pump it will continuously run. Water pressure is down a bit from when everything was working properly. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
Below are pictures of this system.

Old 04-20-14, 03:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 897 Votes on 826 Posts
Boy that's an old looking pump. How many pipes run to the well? Seeing the two pipes out one side of the pump makes me think it's a deep well jet pump.

The pressure switch just tells the pump to turn on or off. If the pump is running and the pressure is not rising the switch is not your problem and I would focus more on the pump.

Looking at the age of the tank and the pump I'd be tempted to start with a clean slate; new bladder stlye tank and pump.

I'm hoping you actually have a deep well jet pump and it's just a bit of rust or sediment clogging the venturi. It can cause the symptoms you describe and doesn't cost anything to fix at least in the short term.

Old 04-20-14, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are two pipes that run to the well. When I opened the top of the well to look in all I can see is water, the pipes are down near the bottom I imagine and there is no pump in the well itself. Here is a question then, where would the venturi be on the pump? Is that where the black hose that runs off the sediment bowl shown in the picture goes to?
I am thinking I may have to get a new system and install it but will need the same idea as I want to keep the pump assembly in the basement to protect it from the cold winters etc.
Thanks for your quick reply and assistance.

Old 04-20-14, 07:02 PM
A
Received 134 Votes on 123 Posts
deleted l;jsl;g kl;b l;agq agasdgsdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: