cottage water problem

Old 05-04-14, 04:55 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
cottage water problem

I have a cottage water system that draws water from the lake with a jet pump. It's fairly new, it came with the place, once pressure is built up and the switch kicks off and faucets are open water pressure is good on the cold side but terrible on the hot side. However, once the pressure bleeds off the pump kicks in, but the water pressure at the faucets dwindles down and the psi goes down to zero, pump still runs but no pressure and no water. If I turn the taps off then the pump, count 2 potatoes turn it back on and the pump gets pressure immediately and the pump kicks off. Turn the water on again and 1 minute later the cycle starts all over again pressure dwindles off down to nothing turn pump off and the pump gets the pressure back. I have a new 30/50 switch installed there aren't any leaks, that I know of, whats causing the pump pressure to dwindle down to nothing. the pressure switch cuts off before 50 psi as well. When a toilet flushes, fills and is flushed again immediately all pressure is lost. There's a 9.2 gallon power fist pressure tank, there aren't any leaks and the tank is at 28-29 psi. I'm thinking its sucking air that's why pressure is lost. Why would hot water pressure be so low.

Old 05-05-14, 10:45 AM
O
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I suspect what you think is 30 cut in and 50 cut out has changed, since you said that the pump cuts off before 50 psi. Why that may have happened is unclear. Probably crud in the little tube going to your pressure switch.

Now if I am right. If the cut in is below your pre-charged air, then it means that your tank is completely empty before the cut in pressure is reached. Since the air on the other side of the bladder cannot push water that is now outside your pressure tank you get this dwindling pressure every time your tank empties. You might also get some pump short cycling from this as well.

What I would do is completely empty the tank. Now remove some air pressure. Bring it down a lot, like to 15 to 20 psi. Now turn on the pump and refill the tank. Now open a tap and try to observe two things. Does the system stop its pressure dwindling like you had before and also observe at what pressure does your pump cut in. Once you know the cut in, either re-charge the air in the tank (tank needs to be emptied again to re-charge the air) to about 3 psi below this cut in pressure or if you are sure the pressure switch is OK, then search youtube for cleaning a pumps pressure switch and clean yours up... or adjust the pressure switch to the desired cut in/cut out pressures.

If removing the air does not fix the problem, then re-charge the air (again the tank needs to be emptied to do this) and report back.

Old 05-06-14, 03:43 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks very much I'll give it a whirl this weekend. you don't think it has anything to do with sucking air in from somewhere?

Old 05-07-14, 07:02 AM
O
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Are you getting a burst of air out of the pipes when you turn on a tap? If you are it can be from a number of things but an air leak would produce that as well. If you have the traditional set up where you have a foot valve at the end of the pipe in the lake and no check valves between that and the pump then an air leak when it is pumping water would turn into a water leak when the pump shuts off. The pressure from your pressure tank and the higher elevation would push the water out that leak. So when the pump is off and no one is using water, check to see if your water pressure holds. If it does, it is unlikely you have a leak and if it slowly decreases it is very likely you have a leak.

You seem to be just having a pressure problem as you get close to your cut in pressures and I would think an air leak would cause issues at all pressure levels. Probably more problems at higher pressures.

From what you have described it sounds like your tank's air pressure is a lot higher then your cut in pressure. How that happened, if it did, is the mystery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: