Leaking sprinkler part

Old 05-17-14, 10:33 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking sprinkler part

Hey guys I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I didn't see a sprinkler sub-forum.

My system was connected to a well but it dried and my family decided to connect them to the city line. Which was a huge mistake. The guy that did the job added this and it is leaking. Can someone tell me what it is? See pic.

The shut off inside the house runs right into this the water is leaking from the top cover piece when I took it off there is a spring in there and a white plastic piece.

Once I open the valve allowing water into this it leaks.

Ok well it won't let me post a picture on here from my phone I will try from the pc later. But it is a piece that has two outlets sealed looks like for the addition of more valves then one leading to the sprinkler system and one that leads to a valve to water the flower bed. It has a round top cover held on with a nut where the water is leaking from inside that cover is a white plastics piece with a spring under it. It also shows the direction of the water on the outside of it. Hope someone can help from that description.
Thank you
Anthony

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-14, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Votes on 1,091 Posts
A bit tough to find.
Lawns, Landscaping and Outdoor Decor - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

A picture will be needed as I can't tell what you have there by description.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 05-20-14, 01:07 PM
B
Thanks for the reply, yea i didnt think it belonged there because it was more of plumbing problem then a landscaping issure but it all makes sense now. Hopefully I can attach the pic from my PC thank you again
Anthony
ps the water is coming out from the top piece when i took that off there is a plastic piece with a spring and another plastic piece that attaches to that, it appears that the bottom plastic piece should seal to the top one when the water is giving it pressure to do so however it just pours right out. Im hoping I could just replace the plastic pieces inside. They both appear to have some stress fractures but nothing that seems to be dumping out water like it is. when i push the piece together with them off they make a nice seal. What is this piece and is this an issue with something else? is this piece some sort of a fail safe that prevents a big problem?

Attached Images  
Old 05-20-14, 01:26 PM
D
I don't know what that particular valve is, but it appears to be a combination of shut-off, one-way valve (typically required for residential sprinkler systems), and maybe a pressure regulator.

Is your irrigation the typical high-pressure sprinkler type? IE - typical sprinkler heads? If so, I'd consider replacing the valve with a simple shut-off and check valve (one-way). Looks to be copper, so you'll have to solder it in.

We'll see if anyone else has a better guess.
Any identifying numbers or marks on it?

Old 05-20-14, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Votes on 1,091 Posts
Looks like reverse flow preventer with two valves and ports for fall blowing out too. I'll have to check further.

Name:  sprinkler part.jpg
Views: 1140
Size:  37.8 KB

Old 05-22-14, 11:50 AM
B
Thank you guys,
Yeah there is a shut off valve below the this leaking piece as well as after it. Makes sense that those valves are for fall blow out but its kind of over kill because i just use the valve coming out of the bottom piping that is used to fill the flower bed (not shown in the pic) im going to see if i can just replace the inside plastic piece.

Yes its a typical high pressure system with pop up heads.
thanks again guys