Well pump controller tripping, pressure tank not filling...

Old 05-26-14, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well pump controller tripping, pressure tank not filling...

Noob here...and thanks in advance for any advice.

WELL SPECS:
-Purchased this home and 16 ac in 4/2014.
-Home was built in 1984.
-Submersible well pump (no specs avail).
-Well is 478' per previous homeowner.
-6" diameter casing (will verify this shortly).
-WX 252 WellXTrol pressure tank (86 gal)
-Franklin Electric pump control box (model #2823008110)
-Square D 30/50 pressure switch
-Well was re-cased in 1997

Currently only getting 20-25 psi as measured on 2 separate hose bibs on the property, approx 100' apart.

Yesterday, I replaced the entire plumbing manifold that was at the pressure tank including the brass T, all branch piping, pressure switch (was 30/50, now 40/60), pressure gauge, check valve, pressure relief valve, discharge valve and I also installed a Cycle Stop Valve (model CSV 1) between wellhead and the pressure tank. You can read about those valves at Cycle Stop Valves, Inc. if you're curious. I am not affiliated in any way with this company but their product seems pretty proven and simple.

[add] The pressure tank appears to be intact and not waterlogged. When we first started this fix, the top of the tank rang hollow and the bottom was more of a dull thud when tapping with a wrench.

PROBLEM #1: After re-plumbing everything at the pressure tank when I switch on the breaker, the system pressure quickly builds to 20-25 psi and stays there for several minutes before the thermal reset trips on the pump control box. It does the same thing every time.

PROBLEM #2: Not a drop of water is going into the pressure tank.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Donnie

Last edited by DonnieC; 05-26-14 at 09:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-14, 07:14 PM
What's the air pressure set at in that pressure tank . . . . before you even start pumping ?

Old 05-26-14, 09:10 PM
When I re-set the tank and new plumbing, I changed from a 30/50 switch to a 40/60 so I upped the pre-charge to the recommended 2psi below the cut-in setting, so I changed it from 28 to 38psi.

Old 05-26-14, 09:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Did you pressurize the tank correctly ?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/we...well-info.html

Did you follow their recommendations ? They give you the tank pressure.
Cycle stop valves/pdf/install_csv1.pdf

Old 05-27-14, 05:58 PM
PJ,

As far as I can tell, I've followed everything correctly from the CSV install to the tank pre-charge.

Old 05-28-14, 06:07 AM
Could it be that your Pump isn't powerful enough to achieve new and higher pressure settings ?

Since you don't know the specs of the Pump, perhaps one of the experts (and I'm not one of them) may suggest jumping the pressure switch to drive the Pump and ascertain that it runs and can meet your new pressure settings.

Old 05-28-14, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Your pump may not reach as a high a pressure as you want but it should be a lot higher than 25psi. The pressure should always build slowly. Anytime you see it rise quickly means it's being restricted or has no place to go. If the tank was waterlogged it could act like you're seeing but the pressure would still rise to the shutoff point.

The biggest unknown here is the CSV..... but if your pressure gauge is after that valve then it would seem ok.

A question I should have asked earlier.... was the pressure ok before you made all the changes and added the CSV ?

Old 05-28-14, 06:43 PM
Update...

Last night I took out everything ancillary that I had added to the system like the CSV, the check valve (before the PT), sediment filter and whole house filter (after the pressure tank) and basically straight-piped from the wellhead > through my pressure tank T > to my shutoff valve to the house just to rule everything out.

Even still...the system would pump up to 20-25psi, run for 5-6mins and then trip the thermal reset switch on the controller. Same as before. I presumed this to be a problem downhole which is beyond my scope of experience.

At 9:20am today, I called Bee Caves Drilling, based out of Dripping Springs, TX and by 11am they had a well-pulling truck on-site getting after it. They did some quick determination that it was, in fact, the pump. They worked until about 6:30 this evening and got me back in the water with a new Goulds Pump system at 60psi. It's wonderful.

The TD of the well is 512' and my pump is sitting at about 460ft. My old pump was sitting at about 420' with my water level at only about 405'.

I've decided that I'm going to put in a 2500gal storage-tank system myself adjacent to my well house with a jet pump next to help carry my sprinkler system. I'm interested in any advice on storage tank systems anyone may have.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 05-28-14, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Wow.... that's a deep well. Thanks for the update.

A storage tank system shouldn't be too hard to install. You'll be installing a float system in the tank to operate your well pump to keep the tank full. As far as what tank to get... you're going to have to shop around and see what's available there.