Aeration of my seepage pit

Old 06-15-14, 06:44 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Aeration of my seepage pit

Hello,
I have been reading about different experiences that people are having with aerating their seepage pit.
The seepage pit I have was installed in the house new in 1964.

Starting Last Monday 6/2/14 my system was as follows
Primary tank 1000 gallons 60" deep (and full)
Secondary tank 500 gallons 61" deep 1 inch up riser (over full)
man made seepage pit 135" deep effluent level (about 1600 gallons)
Steps taken so far
All done in the seepage pit
6/02/14 10 lbs Sodium Per carbonate Awesome oxygen from dollartree
6/03/14 14 lbs Sodium Per carbonate Awesome oxygen from dollartree
6/04/14 12 lbs Sodium Per carbonate Awesome oxygen from dollartree
6/05/14 Started the Hiblow HP-60 pump in the seepage pit with EDI waste treatment air diffuser.
6/07/14 Added in 24 ounces of Air O Pak aerobic bacteria.

As of today 6/15/14 Primary tank is at 49.5 inches (10.5 inch drop) and Secondary tank is at 45.5 inches (15.5 inch drop) and both are at bottom of the outlet pipe. I did not do anything different for water usage and even had 2 extra people say 2 nights. Same amount of wash being done, just making sure to spread out the time between loads.
The level of the seepage pit is definitely lower. Since I started aeration I can not measure because of the foam. I only have a 4" inspection/clean-out pipe that I put the diffuser in. I do not have a manhole for clean-out. If i do I would need to dig several feet to get to the top of pit to look for one.
Now that the 2 tanks are at the correct levels. The seepage started to dry out on the ground surface. I did have a puddle over the seepage pit with about an 1/8 inch standing water from lawn mower tire but now is gone but the ground is still a little wet.
So in all i think i"m going in the right direction. Over the last week in the north east part of the country we have had inches of rain and my system is still dropping. i can see bio-mat on the ground around the 4" clean-out /inspection pipe. This is because ever since the diffuser was put in the pit I have been having foam come out. When the foam disappears it leaves tiny particles of the Bio-mat on the ground. Even today it is still foaming out but I think soon that it will stop coming out because the seepage pit level will be low enough to keep all of it underground. When I get several days where no foam comes out I will turn pump off just to measure the seepage pit level. then start pump again.
Thanks for reading
I just wanted to let readers know of some steps taken that can help there seepage pit level.

Here are some photos not the best will try to get better ones.
Septic System Slideshow by muk-luk | Photobucket

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pr...#ixzz34i8n2eOo

Last edited by mukluk; 06-15-14 at 08:21 AM.
Ted C voted this post useful.
Old 06-15-14, 10:42 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 277 Upvotes on 253 Posts
deleted seyfdmm, sdjfdjtfd hkdujsfdh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: