Risers on septic tank lids + filter inspection lid

Old 08-10-14, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Risers on septic tank lids + filter inspection lid

My septic tank was 2 feet under so I installed some risers on the 24 inch lids. Everything went well until I found out when they came and pumped it there is a third lid.. an inspection lid for the filter. It's a small lid, I want to say 6 or 8 inches.

Talking to the guys that pumped my tank, they said the best thing would be to rig up a riser using some 8" PVC piping. Sounds good... but where can I get this stuff, and what kind of lid should I put on the top? Unlike my main risers that came with separate lids and I permanently removed the cement ones... I am going to leave the cement lid on the filter inspection port. There fore, I just need a lid/cap device that will keep dirt out.

Someone please point me in the right direction! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-14, 04:56 PM
PolyLok probably has a product that would suit you. Here's a link to their catalogue:

http://http://www.polylok.com/catalog

You should have a plumbing supply place near you that sells their stuff. I've found some of the Riser Lids on eBay; but the shipping costs made it more practical to buy local even if I was paying a bit more in price and Sales Tax.

My local supplier cuts 24" culvert to length to make risers for people like me. I've now got three (3) of those Green PolyLock Lids on my Septic Tank: Inlet Inspection Port; Outlet Inspection Port; and the central Clean Out access. So now, I will never again be left wondering where to dig in order to gain access for any purpose whatsoever.

Last edited by Vermont; 08-10-14 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-11-14, 06:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I would install a 24" riser just like your main cleanouts. It's difficult to work 2' down through a tiny 8" diameter pipe.

Old 08-12-14, 11:03 PM
Dont really want to install a huge riser for many reasons. More digging, more expensive, etc.

Old 08-13-14, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Just make sure you can remove the lower lid, remove and re-install the filter through whatever cleanout you install.

Old 08-14-14, 08:13 PM
Excellent advise!

The lid is 7 inches across, so not that big. My main risers are 24" and go up 16". i am thinking of just doing a 12" riser on this, probably 10" PVC piping.

I am just harry homeowner so bear with me. But what are the parts called to build a cap for it? Something threaded I would guess? It just needs to resist a bunch of dirt getting in it... and be able to be opened every three years. Would a "cleanout" cap be good, like this?

http://toledorotorooter.com/images/cleanout.jpg

Thanks again

Old 08-15-14, 05:39 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, that could work especially since you will be burying it. I would also lay a chunk of steel on top of the cap when you bury to make it easy to locate with a metal detector, or just bring your cleanout up flush with the surface. That will make it visible so no digging is needed to access the filter and with it flush you can just mow over it.

Old 08-15-14, 06:54 AM
Pilot Dane -
Thanks for the reply. Just did some "digging" around and saw 10" cleanouts are $200+! Was shocked, I was expecting more like $50. Not really looking to spend that much on this project. So unless I can find one cheaper, any other suggestions? What if I just get a 10" PVC end cap and duct tape it on? The tape would basically just be holding it in place until the dirt I pack around it secures it.

Thoughts? Also, are cleanouts really that expensive?