Water in basement

Old 12-30-14, 01:05 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water in basement

Folks:
My house was built in 1963 and is a ranch house with a full finished basement.
There are no sump pumps but I assume a french drain around the perimeter
of the house.My basement never had any water in it. Two years ago we had a major rain storm and alot of flooding water cane into my basement on all four sides.Since then (twice in two years) when it rains for a couple of days I get water in on one side of the house.It Stopped raining seven days ago and I'm
still getting water in one place.8 gal. in 12 hours.I,m going to install a french drain inside and a sump pump in this area.What do you think happened?The county installed a new manway at the bottom of my street around the same time.I
would appreciate any and all replies.Thank you in advance Ron

Old 12-30-14, 01:29 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,190 Upvotes on 1,147 Posts
What happened? Impossible to say without being there.

What's the water table in your area? How are you managing water off the roof? How is the ground graded/sloped around the house to direct water? What is the condition of the wall where the water is coming in?

Old 12-30-14, 04:34 PM
V
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If there is a "french drain", maybe after 50 years, it's time to jet it out.

But if you're not sure whether there is one, maybe it's time to do some investigation and eliminate the need to assume.

Any trees around whose roots could have clogged up the drains ?

Old 01-01-15, 05:23 PM
R
Thank you for your replies.There is a large oak tree fifteen feet from my
house.I would have to rent a backhoe to dig down to find out about roots.me
roof drains away and the slope away from the house is good.I don't know
what the water table is.How can I find out?I don't know the condition of the
exterior block wall but the paneling on the inside is dry.It has been nine days
since the last rain and I still an getting eight gallons of water in five hours in
one spot. Ron

Old 01-01-15, 06:31 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Curious what you mean by "manway"
>The county installed a new manway at the bottom of my street around the same time.<
What is the elevation where they did this work in relation to your basement.

Bud

Old 01-04-15, 01:48 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
IF there's a 50yr old system, my bet's it failed long ago from silt buildup,,, filter cloth was never used back in the day for now, dig a hole where the water's coming & install a pump ( zoeller m53 - ebay - $120 - no $ interest )

waterproofing is done from the outside - inside its called water management,,, to be code compliant, waterproofing still isn't required,,, think of your home's bsmt as a ship's hull below the wtrline & its easier to imagine,,, ALL big ships run bilge pumps constantly

Old 01-04-15, 05:55 AM
V
Vey
"silt buildup" in the outside drainage tiles around the foundation.

That's my guess. Based on it's age, I would guess that it was not built on low land like they built them in the '70's forward. So it's not likely a high water table problem.

This is a good page that covers all the bases:
Keeping Basements Dry | The ASHI Reporter | Inspection News & Views from the American Society of Home Inspectors

Old 01-04-15, 03:51 PM
R
Water in basement

Again thanks to all that replied.The manway is a large pipe that the sewer lines from all four houses on my block tie into.The piping coming from my house ties in lower than the basement.I removed the lower half of the paneling in my laundry room.This is were the majority of water is coming in.I put my hand in the french drain and all I can feel is mud no stones!!I think at this point I will install a sump
and sump pump with a inside ditch with stone and piping.What do you think?
Thank you in advance and Happy New Year RON

Old 01-05-15, 07:40 AM
V
Vey
I don't think there should be stones in the french drain, nor should there be mud. Maybe the drain just needs to be jetted out?

"The manway is a large pipe that the sewer lines from all four houses on my block tie into.The piping coming from my house ties in lower than the basement."

Look at that article where it shows drains going into the city sewer. Is that how yours is? Is the drain in the basement draining into the sanitary sewer? Or a stormwater sewer?

If the drain runs down into the city sewer, you need to use it if you can. Putting in a sump pump means to have pump it up and out a window or something, then get the water far away from the house so it doesn't come back in again.

And won't that pipe be fun to mow around all summer?

Old 01-07-15, 12:30 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
1 of the key features of a sub-floor perimeter drainage system ( incorrectly know as a french drain to many ) is crushed stone both for pipe bedding AND cover,,, its installed in a filter soil-cloth lined trench,,, stone isn't the issue - its the mud,,, probably no filter cloth as its a fairly recent development

the absolute best pump ( we all use it in the trade ) is zoeller's m-53,,, you can find 1 on ebay for approx $120 - same w/check valve,,, we buy sumps from zoro.com & radon lids/covers from ferguson supply,,, 1.5" discharge line from apron/vest store,,, white filter cloth from either lowe's or landscape/irrigation supply

that's about it good luck !

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: