Septic Tank Lid Gaps

Old 01-13-15, 12:59 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Septic Tank Lid Gaps

Recently stumbled upon a root infestation in the septic when we had it pumped due to odor in the house. The odor turned out to be a vent issue. Tree has been removed. It was about as old as the house, and only about 6 feet from the tank....I have dug out the border of the septic tank of this 55 yo house in western NC. I discovered a couple things. 4-5 inch roots framing the concrete tank top seams, where the tops meet the tank. Also, the tops of the tank, do not cover the entire tank. It appears that the tank was covered with concrete slabs that did not completely cover the tank. I have sections of the border that have 1-2 inch gaps that expose the tank where the lids meet the sides. This concerned me as the dirt was falling into the tank as I dug out around it. It almost seems like the tank was cut open in some sections to access the tank and remove roots before.

Once the roots are removed from the outside, I would like to patch the gaps with brick and sealant and wondered if there was any advice out there to be offered. I can provide a picture later in the week, I travel for work and the wife isn't much help outside.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-15, 01:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Long ago septic tanks were built on site. Some were cement blocks that got skim coated with mortar then they placed slabs on top for the lid. Those types can be very problematic once they start to go. Before putting much work into it I would inspect the body and interior baffles for cracking or signs that the walls may be moving or deteriorating. They can be Band-Aid fixed but that's often just temporary.

Luckily new, pre-cast septic tanks are relatively inexpensive (at least when you consider their size). You should contact your county Health or Environmental services Dept. to see if they will require a permit for the repair. Usually they are quite nice to deal with but they will require a modern size and style tank which in the long run is good for you in helping save your leach field.

If you repair your tank or get a new one I would install a filter on the outlet inside the tank. It will help prevent solids from making their way out into the leach field and it's very cheap insurance.

Old 01-14-15, 10:29 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree with Pilot Dane! The money and time spent to repair the tank will only be a temporary fix. Invest in a new tank and have it professionally installed. Make sure there is a convenient way to access the tank to have it cleaned periodically.