Well water tank pressure issues; new owner new to wells.

Old 01-14-15, 08:44 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well water tank pressure issues; new owner new to wells.

Hello!

I recently purchased a home in Michigan that runs on well water; this is my first experience with a well so I am not quite sure what I am doing; but we are having some pressure issues and I was hoping to narrow it down and fix it myself if possible.

The symptom we see is the water pressure will be low; get high for a few seconds and drop quickly to low pressure again. I have checked the gauge and the pump kicks on around 25psi and takes a second or two to rise to 30psi; then within a second or so hits 50psi; then takes about a second to drop back to 30psi once the pump turns off.

With the pump off and tank drained I have checked the air pressure to be ~12psi; from what I gather this is too low and needs to be just under when the pump turns on.

Now I also have a 'Rain Soft' water filter system that is saying it needs rebedding; which I have not been able to do yet. Bypassing it seemed to have no effect on pressure.

Is this just an issue of low air pressure?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-15, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
One thing at a time. First, adjust the air pressure in your pressure tank to be 2-3 psi less than your pump's cut in pressure. Then report back with how your system is operating.

Old 01-14-15, 10:44 AM
L
Pilot Dane is correct. Look around the top of the water tank for an air valve( something that look like a stem that comes out of a tire). Use and air gauge and measure the air in the tank when the pump starts. The pressure should be approximately 22 psi to 23 psi. If you find water coming out of the air valve there is 2 reasons. 1. The tank is water logged. 2. If it is a bladder tank, then the bladder is bad. If you have a bladder tank then the tank will need to replaced. If the tank doesn't have a bladder, then drain the tank. Once the tank is empty start the pump and run until the pump shuts off and then check the air pressure. Use an air compress or an air pump to add air to the tank to bring it up to the correct pressure.

Old 01-14-15, 11:36 AM
F
Thanks for the replies!

I am working on getting an air pump and will pressurize it up and see what that does. From checking it so far no water coming out so I think its just low? Anywho I'll do that and see if the issue is fixed.

Thanks again!