Moving an expansion tank

Old 01-21-15, 01:20 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving an expansion tank

I have a need to move two expansion tanks which I can do but don't know if there are any guidelines for doing it as I have never had one before.

It is a well system and there are two wells, an old and a new. The old well provides water for the outside spigots.

I need to move them about 20 feet from where they are. The new pipe routing will go up about 4 feet from where it comes into the house (it now goes straight down), along a joist in the ceiling about 20 feet then back down about 5 feet and into the expansion tank.

I am guessing this is not an issue but not sure if there would be an issue with the pump and pressure? Right now the water pressure is really good throughout the house. It is only a small change but I am clueless.

Part 2 is the old well is just a pipe from the old well into the expansion tank and it terminates there. It doesn't go back outside so I am guessing it isn't doing anything and the pump is pushing straight to the outside spigots. Is this tank needed any longer or is it just using the regulator for the pump?

Thanks.

Old 01-21-15, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Those are not expansion tanks. They are needed to prevent the well pump from cycling and burning out....

Read here and post back with any questions...

Water Storage & Pressure Tanks: purpose, diagnosis, repair, replacement

It doesn't go back outside so I am guessing it isn't doing anything and the pump is pushing straight to the outside spigots.
It is being used and is needed...

Old 01-21-15, 03:43 PM
S
Thanks Mike. I thought they were called expansion tanks.
Any idea about moving them? Is it going to hurt to add 30' of pipe? That is probably a bit of a loaded question.

Old 01-21-15, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
I dont see an issue moving them...

Keep same size pipe. dont go smaller...

Old 01-21-15, 05:25 PM
A
Received 235 Likes on 215 Posts
A pressure tank will protect the pump no matter where it is located provided that there are no closed valves between the tank and the pump.

The water system may deliver water a little erratically to fixtures tapping off from the line between the pump and the pressure tank.This is because the water in the pipe going between the tap off point and the tank changes direction, towards the tank after the pump kicks on and away from the tank after the pump kicks off

One properly preset pressure tank is enough to protect the pump. Additional tanks will allow more water to be drawn before the pump has to kick on, and could provide a longer lasting quantity of water during a power failure.

If there are multiple pressure tanks and one loses its air cushion due to a bladder rupture or other cause, the system will still perform well but the problemmatical tank will not accept and release water as a storage tank should do.

Old 01-21-15, 05:51 PM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
I think Mike's reference in post #2 covers this, but I believe you have to move the pressure switch with the tank when you make the move.

Old 01-22-15, 07:46 AM
S
Thanks much guys! This is what I needed. I was thinking I could remove the tank on the old well since it terminates and use the gauge and pressure switch without it but that sounds like a really bad idea. And that is why I wanted to ask the magicians.

Old 01-22-15, 09:25 AM
A
Received 235 Likes on 215 Posts
If the old well is tied into the same system as the new well, and the cut out pressure settings are roughly the same, then they can share the same expansion tank, again, so long as shutoffs are not used to isolate either pump's output from the line going to an expansion tank while that pump still has electric power turned on.

Old 01-22-15, 11:49 AM
S
They are independent systems and for good reason. The old well only supplies outside spigots and what comes out so far that I have seen isn't that pretty. Fine for watering the lawn and washing a car but I wouldn't want to drink it.
That is what I am told but we just got the place. I will test it to see if it is really that way or if the new well supplies for everything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: