French Drain in Basement. Through footing or underneath?

Old 01-24-15, 07:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
French Drain in Basement. Through footing or underneath?

A few years ago i had a company come in at install a second sump pump and some interior french drain. I have a ranch house so it is basically a rectangle. There was one room that was not done. it was used as a fruit cellar. It is about 8'x15' that has water issues in a few corners. I want to excavate the concrete and gravel from the perimeter of the room and tie it into the french drain on the other side of the door way. under the doorway is a footing. wondering if it is safe for me to notch the footing out for the 3" french drain tile to go through? Don't know if that would cause any structural issues with my foundation.

link to image of house. outline in red is where I want to put the new tile. All the walls are Cinder block and have footing underneath.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8b80qbm7w...house.pdf?dl=0

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 10:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Water proofing and moisture control should have been done on the outside.
Proper grading, no mulch piled up against the foundation, no landscaping timbers forming ponds, working gutters with down spouts away from the foundation.
Waterproofing the out side of the foundation, in extreme cases a French drain and there would be no water in the basement.

Old 01-25-15, 07:43 AM
J
Thanks for the reply but your reply in no way answers my question.

All new construction in our area requires both interior and exterior drain tile. My house was built in 1964.

what I am asking is if I can run the new 3" drain tile through the footing.

If I had $20,000+ to excavate the outside of my house, replace my deck and all the landscape I would do that in a heartbeat.

Old 01-25-15, 09:11 AM
Z
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Hi john Ė

Iím no help but here to learn myself. So in trying to understand what a footing looks like I found this picture. I bet if you would go through the footing with something like a steel pipe or something like that I bet it would be OK. But I guess you need the pros to weigh in. Iíve bored through cinder block and thatís not too bad-but through the footing I guess would be tougher. But of course I know you are asking about the propriety, not the method.

Good luck!

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...hspart=mozilla

Old 01-25-15, 10:32 AM
A
Received 86 Votes on 80 Posts
I would install one solid drain pipe connection going through or under the footing (at one point in the system) not the farthest workable point from the sump pump pit but not directly under the doorway.

I would see no problem provided that less than 10 inches worth of footing are affected.

If, due to ease of implementation, you choose the under-footing routing, have a cleanout there since the U bend will tend to accumulate dirt.