New Sump Pump Question

Old 04-23-15, 04:52 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Sump Pump Question

I've just today had a sump pump put in my basement. The install isn't finished yet, but the installer showed me how to test the pump. It's a Little Giant and he said to suck on the tube on the end of the cord.

When I checked the sump a little while after he left, the water level was several inches above the pump, but it hadn't turned on. I then did what he said and sucked on the tube and plugged it back in. The pump worked great, but it wouldn't turn off. I let it run for a good 30 seconds after the sump was empty, but it didn't stop. I was worried that leaving it go would burn out the pump.

My question is, how long should the pump run for after the sump is mostly empty and not pumping water anymore?

The installers are going to be here tomorrow, but rather than bother them for something that might be really stupid, I figured I'd here here first.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-15, 05:10 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just a follow up here...

I plugged it back in and it didn't start again. Maybe it's all back to normal. The water is only an inch above the pump.

We'll see...

Old 04-23-15, 05:21 PM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
We have no picture, no idea what or how the pump was installed, even what model # of pump you have.
Never heard of having to suck on a line to make a pump start, most just have a float switch.

Old 04-23-15, 07:14 PM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
The float switch is probably not installed yet.

Unplug the pump. Then, if possible, lift the pump out of the pit and lean it against the wall.

After everything is installed the pump should turn on by itself when the 4 inch or so drain pipes emptying into the pit are submerged a little less than halfway. The pump should turn off by itself when the pit is almost empty.

You should not have to suck on a tube to get the pump started. That is a sure way to get filthy water into your mouth and catch some wolfy disease.

Old 04-23-15, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
That type of pump has a pressure switch and that line that parallels the power cord is the breather tube.

From Little Giant....
Automatic operation with pressure switch.
Pump operates when water level is between 7" and 10".
Pump shuts off when water level falls to between 1" and 4".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: