Cannot get pipe back into well casing

Old 04-28-15, 06:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cannot get pipe back into well casing

Some History:
We purchased the home about a year ago in WV. It has a well but the house is on city water. The well is at least 40 years old and has been turned off for at least 12 years. With summer getting closer I thought it would be nice to use well water for outside use (cars / garden) so I turned on the breaker for the well on and as I had expected, nothing. Bypassed the pressure switch and pump controller and wires outside at top of casing have power but still no water. Hooked up a winch line to the T-handle at the top of the casing and used it to break the pitless valve free, then pulled the pump up by hand using the black PVC and pull wire which was wrapped around the top of the T-handle. After a lot of up and down pulling the pump seemed to get stuck with about 20 ft of PVC out of the well. After several attempts of pushing the pump back down and pulling up it seem to break free and the remaining 45 ft came out without any issues. Turned the pump on and as expected it was frozen solid. Now I have a bad pump, 65 ft of black PVC in the yard, and an open casing top.

Problem:
I didn't want to just leave the casing open so I disconnected the pump and pulled the wire off the PVC pipe so I could put the PVC back in the well. With about 20 ft of PVC left I seem to hit something solid and I cannot get any more of the pipe into the casing. I have pulled the PVC out and several times and the bottom looks like it has mud on it. I have pulled, pushed, turned and twisted but the pipe just won't go down any more. Don't know much about wells / casing so I am not sure what the problem is.

Looking for some help / ideas of what may be going on since I have never really done any work on a well before. Could the last 20ft of well be full of sediment that would stop the pipe from going in? What are the chances that the casing has separated?

Thanks for the advice - Mark

Old 04-28-15, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,481 Votes on 1,369 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Were you just trying to push the PVC pipe back down without the pump ?
It sounds like the pipe is curling up in the casing.... the pump's weight would keep it going straight.

Put the cap on the well, cap off the wiring and toss the PVC.

Old 04-29-15, 03:15 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
When you don't know what you're doing, the safest thing to do is nothing.

Old 04-29-15, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I would do as Pete suggested if you want to abandon the well. If you want to use it, go ahead and pop for a new pump, connect it up and drop it in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: