Need to modify the floater on Zoeller

Old 05-03-15, 10:16 AM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Need to modify the floater on Zoeller

Just installed Zoeller M98 but would like to modify when it comes on and when it shuts off.
The reason is that my property has high water table so there always is a little bit of water at the bottom of the pit and it hoovers about the ON / OFF level.
So the pump comes on once every hour for about 5 sec....and then just shut off.... as the water level drops...but within an hour it will go back just above the ON level and it will switch on again for 5sec.
When it rains - it won't be an issue as the water will be coming at a higher rate but for now I find it annoying to have the pump come on for only 5 sec every hour.

I have an old type floater that you plug in and then it controls the pump power, and I am thinking of plugging in my Zoeller into that.
But first would like to know if this is safe and OK and if I should disable the switch/ floater on the Zoeller or just allow the power be cut off by the use of the other, old floater.

Thanks!

Old 05-03-15, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
Usually you raise the pump in the pit but you could use a different switching method.

Rather than modifying the Zoeller switch..... you'd need to tie the float up and then use your floater switch.

Old 05-03-15, 05:35 PM
P
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If I raise it...it won't make a difference.
The pump will be activated a bit later but it will stop after 5 sec all the same.
Again....because of high water table, I always have a bit of water that fills the pit at a very slow rate.

I just want to make sure it is OK to use the "auxiliary" float that turns the power to the Zoeller pump on and off

Old 05-03-15, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,330 Votes on 1,229 Posts
I just want to make sure it is OK to use the "auxiliary" float that turns the power to the Zoeller pump on and off
You want to make sure you can use YOUR float to activate the pump.... yes.
Actually you're right... you don't need to do anything with the attached Zoeller float switch.

Old 05-03-15, 09:27 PM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Sometimes there is a sweet spot where you could turn off the pump and the water will rise to a certain level in the pit and stop without overflowing. The sweet spot usually changes depending on rain.

At times of year when you do not have a sweet spot (the pit will overflow) just raising the pump accomplishes nothing.

You get such short pump runtimes because the pump is quite fast and the (vertical) distance between pump start level and pump stop level is very short. A separate float switch assembly with more flexibility in adjusting pump start and pump stop can come in handy.

IMHO most pits are too small. This contributes to frequent and short pump runtimes.

If you find and use a sweet spot that leaves the drain pipes emptying into the pit mostly submerged, be vigilant for water up on the floor at the opposite corner of the basement. Should this happen it may take a week of pump start level set somewhat lower to dry up the far corner and you will have to stop chasing the sweet spot that high..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: