jet pump not building pressure

Old 05-20-15, 05:03 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
jet pump not building pressure

hi! i've been troubleshooting this for a little while and read every thread i can find here.

i have a 120ft well with a 2 pipe 1 HP Myers jet pump. it's about 10 years old from what i understand -- i bought the house last year and am not the one who had it installed.

over the winter, i came outside to find the pump running. after about 30 minutes i unplugged it to check on later.

we primed the pump several times and it just runs and no water comes out any of the spigots (there are 4 around the yard). i have tried connecting it to the house/city water directly to a valve immediately after the tank and it goes to and holds about 40 PSI. when i close the valve and plug in the pump, it kicks on, stays on, and the pressure does not increase. eventually when i open one of the spigots the water in the system comes out and the pressure goes to 0 and stays there.

today i added water into the top of the pump as usual and once full (it does hold water, it does not immediately drain from the system) i pumped air into the tank to roughly 30 PSI and plugged in the pump with the prime plug out so the system was open and water was shooting out of the top of the pump. it was somewhat dirty (brown/iron-y), with the smell of sulfur, which makes me think it is water from the well.

it seems like the pump is pulling water but it is not going into the rest of the system if that makes any sense.

does anyone have any other suggestions? i can post pictures of the set up if it helps. the pump is the highest point of all of the plumbing and the bladder tank is immediately off of the pump.

Old 05-20-15, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

Jet pump? 120 ft well?

Is this a one line pump or two line pump?

Many variables.

Ft valve clogged, check valve stuck, old iron pipe rusted internally and clogged, and if it has the ejector it can be clogged......etc..

Yes post pics please.

Old 05-20-15, 05:59 PM
D
I'll add pics in the morning when there's a little more light. I thought I had some good ones but they are a little dark.

It's a 2 line jet pump. I don't know "for sure" that it's 120ft but that's what the guy I bought the house from told me. It's just used for watering the garden.

My understanding was that if there was a problem with the foot valve I would be able to add water for priming indefinitely and it would just drain -- but I don't know if that's always the case. When I'm adding water to prime it's fresh, clean water from the tap and within a few seconds of plugging in the pump (if I leave it open), dirty water that seems to be from the well comes shooting out. It almost seems like the water isn't exiting the pump housing but I'm really new to wells/pumps.

I haven't opened anything beyond the plug on top to add water because I'm not really sure what to look for just yet. The previous owner tells me that he never had any problems with it and hadn't had to do so much as prime it through the last 10 years.

Old 05-20-15, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator
You have a two pipe pump so the jet is down the well.

Do you know where your well head is?

IMO pull the jet, replace that and the ft valve... You should be good to go IMO. Low psi I would say the jet is clogged or ft valve...

Yes you may be at a depth of 120ft but the water table will be at 80 ft or less...

Old 05-20-15, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
Old 05-20-15, 06:44 PM
D
yea, that's pretty much what it looks like except my pressure tank is directly connected to the pump so i can't hear if its getting any water but i never seem to get anything when i open the valve thats connected to it so i'm guessing it's not getting anything. the opening to the well is about 10 ft away from the pump, i havent opened it yet. i'll need to read up so i'll understand what i'm seeing.

i was kinda hoping that the problem would be up top after i saw water shooting up out of the pump today but i'm also running out of other options at this point.

i live pretty close to water so i would suspect to find the water table a little higher than that as well, i was surprised when i heard it was that deep, but for all i know that's normal.

thanks for the help

Old 05-20-15, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator
Post pics of how the pump is connected and maybe I can see something else. Im not there. Anything you can add with pics will be a plus..

Even if there was a tank issue like a clog the pump will still pump to the line. Unless there is a blockage in the line...

Closed broken valve maybe? Old gate valves can cause this...

Old 05-20-15, 06:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
My understanding was that if there was a problem with the foot valve I would be able to add water for priming indefinitely and it would just drain
That is correct. So if you are priming the pump..... the system should fill with water so that you could not add any more. If the system keeps draining then the system has a leak.... probably the foot valve.

Old 05-20-15, 06:59 PM
D
when i hooked up the hose to it yesterday i had all the spigots open that were in the yard and water came out of all of then and i closed them one by one furthest to closest. once i closed them the pressure gauge went up to 40psi and stayed there. if just never seemed to pull in new water.

alright, i will add pics. i'm not sure that there will be anything telling in them since it did work before and nothing external appears to look different.

i will take a video of it taking water and running with the plug open and link to youtube so you can see what its doing.

Old 05-20-15, 07:05 PM
D
right, i think in my first post i mentioned that it was filling with water & stopping, but i can be a little wordy sometimes.

i filled a gallon container today to see how much it was taking and really it only took about an inch from the container to overflow. when i started with the top open, a bunch of dirty well water shot out the top. after letting it run till it stopped doing that i stopped it and filled it again this time it took much more water from the container (like it was actually filling up instead of being topped off). when i plugged it in though it did the same with water shooting out for a minute or so and i went to it and screwed in the plug and hand tightened but i never did get any pressure on the gauge and no water out of the closest valve.

Old 05-20-15, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
The pump has to grab... when it just sits there running flip the on/off switch a few times..

Old 05-21-15, 06:55 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
I am assuming that the pump sat a while (years?) without being used. If so, a common problem I see is the venturi down in the well becomes clogged with debris or rust. The pump can pump but with the venturi clogged it can't force water up from the well. The only cure is to pull the well and clean the venturi or replace the whole foot valve assembly.

Best is if you have a barrel or large water trough you can submerge the foot valve into above ground so you can run the pump before putting everything down the well. You can remove the venturi nozzle as the pump will usually work since it doesn't have to bring the water up from depth and any debris will soon be spit out into the barrel. If you don't have a barrel you can put everything down the well but know that often the venturi sometimes re-clogs so it may take repeated cleanings until you get the debris out of the system. An intermediate method is flush out the lines and pump and hope you get it.

Old 05-21-15, 03:33 PM
D
its actually been used pretty heavily. bought the house from a retired couple who kept a huge garden. i used it a little more intermittently but would open it up and lay the hose on the ground every other week and let it run for 30-60 minutes (a neighbor suggested it). i'm uploading pictures and a video now.

Old 05-21-15, 03:39 PM
D
pictures of the pump, tank & piping:

Name:  20150521_175145.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  27.4 KBName:  20150521_175201.jpg
Views: 2304
Size:  26.1 KB

Old 05-21-15, 03:55 PM
D
videos taken today. i took one with the priming fill plug on, and one with it off.

with plug in:

https://youtu.be/vvLPy-RtB4Mf

pump runs but does not build pressure

topped off water and ran with plug out:

https://youtu.be/4F_1t37_0kQ

aside from immediately when i plugged it in i didnt get the dramatic water shooting out of it but it was consistently dumping water on the ground. curiously, both times i was only able to add a very small amount of water before it flowed out so there was still a good amount of water in the system from yesterday.

Old 05-22-15, 07:51 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
How to Set the Pressure Regulator on a Deep Well Jet Pump | eHow

Read this and any other info about "flow control valves" you can Google.

Sounds as if your flow control valve has malfunctioned. (age, sand, rust, etc.)

Clean and repair or replace flow control valve and you should be able to get this contrary beast functioning again.

A flow control valve adjusts how much of the pumped water goes into tank vs how much goes back into well to power the jet action. It must be balanced for each application for best performance.
Could write a book, but won't. Search out the info, it is on web.

Happy hunting!

RR

Old 05-22-15, 08:58 AM
D
sweet - thanks for the info. i'll check it out this weekend!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: