Shallow Well Pump Help with Prime

Old 05-28-15, 02:14 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shallow Well Pump Help with Prime

BACKGROUND: Hey all, this weekend I installed a shallow well pump at my new river property. My grandpa used the well 20 years ago and there seems to be plenty of water. It is about 25 feet deep and it was drilled with a sand point....The night before I hooked up the pump, I manually jacked the 23 foot pipe up and down and water pumped up and shot out...so with that said, it appears we are fine on the water front....

Problem, once the pump hits prime and properly shuts off at 40 psI, you can almost hear all the water flow back down into the well. I am assuming it pulled water since it hit prime? Correct? Can a pump it prime without pulling some water?

Now, I have tried everything from inspecting the 23 well pipe, to taking the foot valve into a pump shop. They said it looked okay, granted it must be 45 years old. So, what am I missing that could result in an instant loss of prime and pressure? My head tells me it must be air leak somewhere, but could a subtle air leak cause such rapid loss in pressure? I measured the water depth on the pipe, and there must be 5 feet of water so that cannot be the issue...PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME, I can only go up on weekends so I am losing tremendous amounts of sleep.

Old 05-28-15, 02:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
What kind of pump do you have? You confused me when you say you "...manually jacked the 23 foot pipe up and down...".

Old 05-28-15, 07:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
Yeah.... I'm a little confused with that too.

If you hear the water running back into the well then you have a hole in the pipe (below the water line) or the foot valve is no good.

That's it.... one or the other.

Old 05-28-15, 08:12 PM
D
Clarity

Hey guys, I attempted to install a utilitech shallow well pump from Lowes. When I arrived at the well, the original line and brass foot valve was still in the pipe. I pulled it up and pushed it down several times in the casing, and water came up. That led me to believe it still holds water...Also led me to believe the valve still worked

Then we plumbed the primed the pump and turned it on. Every time it would build to 40 psi and turn off according, however, after it turned off it would slowly drop pressure. My friend and grandpa swore they could hear water running down. I am worried there may not be enough water, but my grandpa has the same shallow well 100 feet away and gets water...We tried to run water as soon as it began dropping to rebuild the pressure, but it would not rebuild any kind of pressure

I took the old valve to a pump shop and they told me it looks good. But did nothing to test it...So I am lost, do I have an air leak, or is this a water issue and outdated sandpoint well.

Old 05-28-15, 10:41 PM
D
How to tell if foot valve is bad

Is there a way to look at a foot valve and determine its worth. Think i am having foot valve issues but pump shop says it looks fine...it is an old brass foot valve grandpa had sitting in well for decades. Pump is not holding prime and foot valve spring looks good, does that mean it is?

Old 05-28-15, 11:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
We try to keep a topic in a single thread. Since many of the details of your system are here.... this is the best place for the foot valve question.

Try filling the vertical pipe with water. If it doesn't drain out it should be ok. Some valves require pressure to close properly.

Old 05-28-15, 11:28 PM
D
Thanks so much. I will try that when i can get up there. I believe i did look if the valve and pipe held water....i think it did

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: