Well-X-Trol tank - can you remove the bottom elbow

Old 07-11-15, 08:15 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well-X-Trol tank - can you remove the bottom elbow

Started seeing a pool of water under our pressure tank last night. It is an Amtrol Well-X-trol WX-202. I was able to shift one of the blocks under the tank and have a look underneath. The leak appears to be from the side of the elbow on the bottom of the tank. I'm guessing it has rotted out from the inside. Unfortunately to have a better look, I have to cut the lines as there is no union, which means no water once I start (I did not install the tank, it was there when I moved in.)

The tank is working fine so I'd like to save it if I can, but I suspect Amtrol has welded the elbow on. It is painted the same color as the tank so I'm sure it came pre-installed in some way.

I was tempted to weld over the hole but if the elbow has really rotted out from the inside, that is not going to hold long, if at all. So I'd like to just replace the elbow.

Does anyone know if this welded to the nipple attached to the bottom of the tank? If so, it is a spot weld or a seam weld?

If it is not welded, great! Replace the sucker. If it is spot weld I'm tempted to try to cut the weld, or cut the elbow and crack it in half off the nipple then chase the threads. It seems a huge waste to replace the whole working tank for that elbow and money is tight right now.

As always, help is appreciated!

Old 07-11-15, 08:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
IF it is at the elbow where it enters the tank, and you see any rust, removing the elbow will most likely destroy the tank bottom. It may be time for a new tank.

Old 07-11-15, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Amtrol Well-X-trol WX-202.
Not a fan of Amtrol... Just my opinion though..

The regular 202 is threaded ell.. The 202D is welded ell...

You could try to remove it as what was suggested, but make sure you have access to a new tank when/if things go array.

My pump is on top of my tank. But you can use this too because you have a 20 gallon tank now..

This is comparable.. ( Find your local Tractor supply if you have one)

CountyLine Pre-Charged Pressure Tank, 19 gal. Actual Capacity | TractorSupply

I increase my tank to 35 gal so my pump cycles less...

CountyLine Pre-Charged Pressure Tank, 35 gal. Actual Capacity | TractorSupply

Old 07-13-15, 07:21 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Deja Vu. I recently had the same problem with a leak at the factory elbow. The tank still looked brand new and I'm a penny-pincher so I thought re-taping the threads should fix the issue. Problem #1 is how to remove the rusty elbow from a round tank with nothing to hold onto. I got lucky and was finally able to loosen the fitting by placing the tank on its side and sit on it while swinging a 6-foot pipe threaded into the elbow for greater leverage. Took awhile but it finally loosened. Cleaned the threads with a wire brush, new elbow & Tee, added lots of teflon wraps, tightened beyond reason.

Result: Still leaks. Can't see where since it's hidden under the base.

Do yourself a favor and just replace it.

Oh--forget welding it. The rubber diaphragm will melt.

Old 07-19-15, 11:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What about turning it upside down, pouring some water in it so diaphragm is protected, then welding?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: