Where to buy good quality Deep Cycle Battery >=75 AMP HOUR

Old 08-26-15, 09:00 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Where to buy good quality Deep Cycle Battery >=75 AMP HOUR

Hello all,

I plan to buy Wayne Model # ESP25 Internet # 203448476 1/3 HP - 12 Volt Battery Backup Sump Pump System but the system doesn't come with battery.

The one sold in home depot is Wayne 75 Amp Hour Maintenance-Free Battery
75 Amp Hour Maintenance-Free Battery Model # WSB1275 but it can only last for a year.

Question> Where can I buy a quality maintenance free battery that can last at least three or four years?

Thank you

Old 08-26-15, 10:50 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Want one that should last longer then that, charges in 1/2 the time, looses very little power when not being used, will not be effected by vibration, heat or cold, almost no off gassing?
Then look for an AGM battery.
Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) Battery Information - Battery University
Yes it cost more, but it's a far better battery.

Old 08-26-15, 11:28 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I second that, but AGM batteries are not all optimized for deep cycle use, so check the specs.

The AGM's are safer for indoor use as well, because they don't outgas hydrogen while charging. I have two Duracell AGMs on my backup sump pump (bought them at $ams club) and they are still going strong after almost three years.

Old 08-26-15, 12:12 PM
Q
@CarbideTipped,

Can you share the model number of your samsclub battery model?

I found this Amazon.com: Vmaxtanks Vmaxslr125 AGM Deep Cycle 12v 125ah SLA rechargeable Battery for Use with Pv Solar Panels,Smart chargers wind Turbine and Inverters: Electronics but it is of group 31. The backup system can only take up to group of 27.

Thank you

Old 08-26-15, 01:13 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is the one: Duracell® AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 - Sam's Club

Why the group 27 limit? Is it just that it won't fit into the case? The charging circuit shouldn't care what size the battery is, it will just take longer to charge and who cares? If it's just a case thing...cases are cheap. I don't even have mine in cases, they are just on a wooden shelf I built. You don't have to add water to AGM batteries, and they don't ooze acid so a case is really optional.

Old 08-26-15, 03:36 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Just Google AGM 27 and dozens of hits come up.
Wal-Mart, any auto store, all Marine stores, Sams Club, Costco all should have AGM battery's.
I learned about them from the Interstate salesman that serviced a marina I managed years ago.
He showed me a video if them being shot with a 45 and it still started there Nascar race car and never leaked.
Cut it in 1/2 on a band saw and it still started.
He sold 2, to me at 1/2 price to try out on my boat.
The boat sunk in a hurricane and the boat sunk at the slip.
A week later we pulled it up and the bilge pumps where still running, even though they had been under salt water.

Old 08-27-15, 07:29 AM
Q
talked to the wayne and they insist that I should ONLY use the battery with the following specifications:

1> >= 75 AMP HOUR
2> Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Battery (AGM is fine too)
3> 9" tall top to bottom
4> 13 "wide (from left to right)
5> 7" deep front to back

Old 08-27-15, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
The case limits you to a group 27 battery.

I have two group 24's for my camper from sams club. duracell. These are 75 AH batterys.

The thing with these types of batterys is you want deep cycle not combo starting batterys.

Also any battery should not be discharged more then 50%. So a 75 ah battery is really a 35 ah battery.

With that said get the 27 group. This is a 90 ah battery. These are the same price as the group 24.. $90 bucks.

Check the water monthy and should last a long time. Make sure the trickle charger is working when you check the water. Often the chargers fail and then the batterys go flat and cant be charged.

You may need to equalize the battery once a year but thats a whole other topic about battery maintenance..

Read here.

http://www.interstatedealers.com/pdf/200004.pdf

The AGM's are $200 bucks and not worth the $$$ IMO unless you need a sealed battery thats in a living space like inside a small camper..

Duracell® Marine Battery - Group Size 27 - Sam's Club

Also to note I dont know what charger comes with the wayne pump but a 3 stage will be a better option if it dont come with a sophisticated charger..

With that said in a power outage and the pump running due to water in the basement, dont expect that pump to run more then a couple hours... ( And when this power outage happens most run the batterys down until they are dead 100% and the battery would be junk at that point)

You may be able to recharge it but its AH rating will be severely reduced.

The best way to prolong run time is with more AH's..

Two 6 volt golf cart batterys hooked in series to get 12 volts will give you 230 AH's. Thats about 115 AH's @ 50% discharge..

With all this said and if you have water and power failure isses a back up generator is a good option also..

Or a water powered sump pump that runs on no electric. It runs off the homes water main flow..

http://www.libertypumps.com/Products...p=76&s=23&c=14

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-27-15 at 08:43 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: