Question: can I use a well control box with a 2-wire pump?

Old 12-03-15, 04:40 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question: can I use a well control box with a 2-wire pump?

We have a pretty new 4" submersible well pump: 3/4hp, 230v 2-wire (three wires coming off of it.)

We don't currently run it with a control box.

My question is: can I hook it to a control box, and how?

My idea is to use the control's start capacitor to lengthen the life of the pump motor and decrease the starting load.

To be clear, I know it doesn't NEED a control box, but I'll like to use the one I have (assuming it's sized correctly.)

Thank you!

Old 12-03-15, 04:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
With a two wire pump.... the starting circuit is built into the motor. You supply power and everything is controlled at the motor.

With a three wire pump.... the start winding is carried up to the control box where it gets connected to the start circuit/capacitor.

You have no way of connecting the start circuit to your pump.

Running a larger than required size cable to your pump is one way of increasing its life.

Old 12-03-15, 05:10 PM
R
Thanks. I was hoping to decrease the starting load too. Are you sure there's a start capacitor in the pump itself, or does it just not need it?

Old 12-03-15, 05:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
There has to be a starting mechanism in the pump. There could be a centrifugal start switch but there is usually a cap with that too.

With a make and model I could tell you exactly what it used internally for starting.

Old 12-04-15, 05:30 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Other than what PJmax has mentioned I don't think trying to jury-rig a control box will help the pump live longer. 1st I think a quality pump/motor is key. Next is using properly sized wire to minimize voltage drop to the pump. Then make sure you have a properly sized and adjusted pressure tank to minimize the number of start/stop cycles the pump goes through.

I've got quality pumps over 20 years old that are still going strong. I've had cheap pumps die in 6-8 years. But in general I'd expect about 15 years service from a submersible pump if your well water is clear. Unfortunately there is a pump and motor down the hole and submerged under water. It will eventually die. You just need to keep some money in savings to cover it's replacement when the time comes, as you often don't get any warning.

Old 12-04-15, 06:47 AM
R
Thanks gents for the input. I contacted the manufacturer of the well pump (they were very responsive, surprisingly) and they told me there's no way to use the control box with the pump.

They also told me it uses 40.7 amps startup!

I'm going to need a bigger generator.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: